RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
But this is what I was getting at
Quote:
engine failure
A finger I certainly won't be pointing

I think they were on their lonesome, diving. VHF comms are very poor out there (to the CG) and there are lots of rocks to break line of sight. I have no idea what happened but I heard no criticism of their actions when I was there. An auxiliary might have been sensible, but TBH, one wouldn't have helped to RTB that day - the sea was too bad.

Where were you, BTW? You and BruceB? Wussies!
Old 07 May 2011, 23:34   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Scotsdiver on Redbay 10 did sterling work
Oh man - "Scottish diver" - that's twice I've got his name wrong this week...

:Embarrassed Smiley: here pls
Old 08 May 2011, 08:04   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Where were you, BTW?
You answered your own question:

Quote:
the sea was too bad.
Mrs P and the little P's are very much "fair weather RIBbers... and had declared it a "family weekend"...
Old 08 May 2011, 11:44   #24

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Where were you, BTW? You and BruceB? Wussies!
On nice, non-moving, dry land out of the weather.........

I would have come out but TBH I arrived back with my own RIB from Humber at 11pm on the night before and after having a good look at it was not exactly full of enthusiasm for RIB ownership in general the next day!
Old 09 May 2011, 10:08   #25

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Clearing up the involvement of RNLI

Incident 1
AM Sat morning - a yacht having lost a forepeak hatch sent out a MayDay from West Loch Tarbert off Jura. to which Redbay 10 diverted from passage to Colonsay, took the people aboard and waited for Islay lifeboat to attend and take over the incident/recovery

Incident 2 involving RIB attending ERR.
Ribs dispatched to Colonsay in groups with 'appointed boats' within the system
Once at Colonsay one RIB decided they would go diving off north coast of Colonsay. RIB left on its own. As mentioned seas were a bit rough. After diving instead of returning to Scalasaig, Colonsay to rejoin the group a decision was made to head directly to Easdale on their own.
This RIB encountered engine problems, engine went to safe mode, the decision was taken to at least inform Clyde CG. No Mayday was sent.
As Wilk rightly mentions comms in these areas are poor, mobile phone signal also poor.
Oban Lifeboat was in the area and offered to divert and tow.

The tow was started but another incident involving a vessel in Loch Etive required the lifeboat. The RIB being towed was discarded, RIB attached to a creel buoy.

Seafari ticket office heard part of a VHF transmission from the lifeboat - we are talking some 15 - 20 miles out and immediately contacted myself (as we operate these waters and are aware of the communications issues we have 'alternatives). Direct contact was made with the Coxn Oban Lifeboat, co ordinates given and 3 RIBs were on scene soonest. The RIB was recovered to Easdale.

Those RIBs departing back to easdale withingn the structure of the ERR had a route advised as taken by Wilk in his Redbay, RIBs were grouped on departure into 3's, 4's etc so there was strength in depth.

There was a final sweep boat - myself in Seafari's 11m cabin RIB - and we do undertake this trip sometimes twice a week so are familiar with the grounds and any communications issues. We too thought we heard something on the VHF but at 10 miles from the incident communication was 'difficult'. The Lifeboat has a 'more powerful broadcast'.

The RIB involved in the incident will I believe be speaking with the company that serviced their outboard. - They removed approx 2 litres of excess oil to bring the oil level down to the dipstick top mark.
Old 11 August 2011, 12:43   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
You think he's going to let you take it out again after you broke it this time!
You were a witness to the official "Go" on The Test Monkey's next Great Adventure!

As you saw, she now has the Yanmar ZT-370 leg fitted and with the very kind offer to take her to Ardbeg on Islay gratefully accepted, we are saving our diesel money

Yanmar appear to have had a lot of trouble with clutch plates in the ZT-350 legs, so we don't feel quite as guilty now. I heard on the grapevine that they are no longer in production and have been superseded by the 370.

Hopefully they will prove to be more durable...
Old 08 September 2011, 16:08   #27
RIBnet Supporter

We made it!

Everything worked out very nicely. Linky