Old 17 May 2006, 09:36   #1
Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Rathmor-Redbay Stormforce 11

Here's some picture of my new boat , launched on Friday 12th at Redbay Boats. She is 11m and designed for ferry/crew transfers, media work, safety cover etc.
Licenced to MCA Cat 3 of the new codes with no restrictions i.e 20 miles from a safe haven day or night, for 12 passenegers and a up to 2 crew.

She is named after a warrior of the Clyde, that was murdered by some east coasties, during the time that Clutha (the other boat) was goddess of the Clyde.

I have chosen to go Raymarine as I was impressed with the C80 on the last boat. She has a C120 display, DSM300 sounder and a 4Kw Raydome. A Icom M601 and a Ic-M1v Handheld are also fitted (sorry Rogue), again chosen for reliability, I have had Icoms for years and they have never let me down (touching lots of wood!!)

Engines are the new Yamaha Sti 422 driving through the Hydra-drive legs. I did look at Volvos, too heavy and costly although one of the few commercially rated engines, and also Yanmars, reliability issues with the legs. I was luck enough to meet Mark Pullinger (Yamahas Commercial Manager) when I was over to discuss the boat and after a long discussion about what changes Yamaha had made to the new range I opted for them.
They are my type of engine, no electonics , just a simple diesel engine.
She also has a set of Bennet tabs fitted and after playing with them over the weekend I really rate them. Being able to offset different weight dist. and being able to trim the boat, as the legs really dont do that much, is great and ensures for a nicer ride.
Other than that she has all the usual safety gear....even a Barometer!!

After looking at various manufactures of boats I again chose Redbay. The layup of their boats is immense. This is now my 3rd Redbay and the seakeeping is just fantastic. They are also very willing to "customise". I went and looked at a couple of similar boats and wanted some thing's changed, mostly asthetic and to aid operation. Stephen the Cad and QA guy drew up around 5 different designs offering options in around 2 days, and as usual the first design that he produced was the best .
The boat was ordered in September, popped from the mould early January and completed mid May, It the longest I've been without a Rib for over 10 years but it was worth the wait.

We ran to Ardbeg on Saturday with Redbays from the smallest to the largest, I thought I drove the boat hard until I saw some of the 6.5m guys. We did over 215 miles at the weekend with the engine returning around 3 gallons per hour per side at 26-30Knots......if that keeps up I be a happy camper.

Anyone looking for a new Rib, from 4.5m upwards would do well to have a look at Redbay Stormforce, yes I'm biased .

All I need to do now is get my trailer finished,and pay for the thing, yep its 38' long, no its not braked and yes it does tow nicely behind a 175hp 10 ton tractor , anyone got a good winch?

Goes without saying that if any of you guys are up this way and want a quick blast......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6215 copy.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	19323   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6216.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	19324   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6217.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	19325   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6221.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	19326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rathmor Seating.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	19327  

Hard or Soft it's never BIG enough
Andy Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 09:39   #2
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
Thats some rib! V nice

hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 10:09   #3
RIBnet supporter
Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat

Bet you are chuffed to bits, looks a superb bit of kit, plus 3 gallons per engine per hour at 26-30 knotts....... got to be the iceing on the cake.
Mobile: 07885 487777
Nauti Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 10:18   #4
Town: Greenock area
Boat name: Joni Chimpo
Make: Narwhall
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp Mariner
Send a message via MSN to GaryD
Andy that looks like an awesome piece of kit... need to take me out a blast sometime over the summer.
GaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 10:21   #5
Town: Berkshire and Devon
Make: Lodestar
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 5hp
Great looking RIB Andy and very businesslike. Like your choice of radios too!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 10:47   #6
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Awesome - liked your comment about the engines - read a few tests on them and they criticised them for their lack of modern electronics - if they can do the job without them then that's brilliant in my book!!!

I have a similar Raymarine setup - gone for the C80 instead of the 120 though.
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 16:23   #7
Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
New Rib

I too have caught the Redbay bug and agree with everything you have to say. Dealing with the Redbay people is realy dealing with people who know their stuff and they really do build fantastic boats.

Best of luck with her.
Take it easy ....but, take it all the way.
Ezgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 16:28   #8
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
can you post a pic of it on the trailer behind the tractor, that must be a sight ...looks stunning
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 17:07   #9
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
What a fantastic new toy ...... must be great to make a living with that wee beasty
I am still dragging my baby rib 5.5hrs up from the Midlands at weekends to enjoy the Clyde and surrounding area. Was up last weeknd and got sunburnt on the Saturday whilst the rest of the world was sodden. Maybe I should apply for a residents visa !
You should be easy to spot - I'll keep an eye out next time I am up - thanks for your help with the diving.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2006, 18:38   #10
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
That's a big boat!

jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote