Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
PPG Marine 12.5m RIB

Posted on behalf of PPG Marine:

New 12.5m RIB, twin Yanmar 440s running through ZF two speed boxes to Trimax drives using Rolla propellers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AYD_PPGM_042[1].jpg
Views:	404
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	74651  
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2012, 05:54   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Another aspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AYD_PPGM_037[1].jpg
Views:	331
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	74660  
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2012, 11:18   #3

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Refurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Another aspect.
Thats a lot of work you've done on Hissing Sid !

Jeff
Old 06 December 2012, 17:01   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Try getting that up on the plane along the coast of Portugal on a bad day Alan P
Old 06 December 2012, 19:28   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
Try getting that up on the plane along the coast of Portugal on a bad day Alan P
? Go on then a bit too cryptic for me i'm afraid
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 12:39   #6

Town: Yarmouth
Boat name: 74 Rouge
Make: Aquavite
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 O/B
Quote:
If its that bad there won't be any racing anyway

Actually the PPG hull has more recovery and buoyancy coupled with softer riding bow sections than most RIBs of its size.
Old 28 December 2012, 07:23   #7

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
There is still a blanket 25 knot wind limit on most of the legs of the Cowes to Monte race!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 10:02   #8

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

There is still a blanket 25 knot wind limit on most of the legs of the Cowes to Monte race!
Morning John, are you saying they are limiting the speed if the wind speed is 25knts or the boats are limited to 25knts
Old 28 December 2012, 10:11   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
I've yet to read one of Alans posts that is something other than negative and dismissive of everyone elses boating ventures and that doesn't come across as being very 'smug' .......

Can't you try and cheer up and be posative & encourging ?
Old 28 December 2012, 10:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Morning John, are you saying they are limiting the speed if the wind speed is 25knts or the boats are limited to 25knts
Maximum wind speed of 25knots before the boats go on the trailer to the next destination - Having spoken to "The RYA" they are trying to make this dependent on direction as there is a big difference between 25 knots onshore to offshore!

Limiting the boats to 25 knots would be a bit silly though!
Old 28 December 2012, 10:55   #11

I did start my last post with. "They just can't help themselves" but started again just in case I was being anal. Surely to go or not to go is partly what racing is about. The tactical part in my opinion is just as important as speed and can win races if its going to be silly it would be better to cruise in company and take it out if the hands the RYA and all the other rule makers who strive to kill off racing
Old 28 December 2012, 11:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM

I've yet to read one of Alans posts that is something other than negative and dismissive of everyone elses boating ventures and that doesn't come across as being very 'smug' .......

Can't you try and cheer up and be posative & encourging ?
Morning Pete. I think in this case it was a swipe at the rules instead of the boat. I won't talk for Alan but like me he doesn't do what I call Klingons. They cost us large money for little return. Ill might be as bold to say as like me he is old school and has sometimes a total disregard to the rule makers when they are just being stupid. Alan has met and been at the hands of these buggers far more than me and it does make you grumpy
Old 28 December 2012, 11:50   #13

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:

Morning Pete. I think in this case it was a swipe at the rules instead of the boat. I won't talk for Alan but like me he doesn't do what I call Klingons. They cost us large money for little return. Ill might be as bold to say as like me he is old school and has sometimes a total disregard to the rule makers when they are just being stupid. Alan has met and been at the hands of these buggers far more than me and it does make you grumpy
I can fully get that, but maybe some more text may make that clearer, or some use of the smily faces....
You at least admit to being grumpy... ;-).

I'd agree the world now is full of rules to keep us safe from ourselves....

Like you I'm just lucky enough to be older than I look...so I keep telling myself
Old 28 December 2012, 12:37   #14

Quote:
I did start my last post with. "They just can't help themselves" but started again just in case I was being anal. Surely to go or not to go is partly what racing is about. The tactical part in my opinion is just as important as speed and can win races if its going to be silly it would be better to cruise in company and take it out if the hands the RYA and all the other rule makers who strive to kill off racing
The wind limit as it stands is a limit for me - I'm not interested in being part of an event that is limited to 25 knots offshore when there is lots of protection - I'm not really happy about the limit at all to be honest, I think it's too low and not well thought out, this was announced at the last meeting that Mike Lloyd ran by JP along with the announcement that passenger permit holders would have to present a CV of their experience and put the nail in the coffin for me along with some other stuff.
Old 28 December 2012, 15:15   #15

Whilst I'm not happy about the wind speed limitation as it is - the point that people miss so much - is that this (and other rule changes) are often brought in as a result of insurance cover requirements, legal reasons etc.

All to easy to blame the RYA without knowing the full facts.

As to regards of the 25knot wind limitation - I hope this does get looked at and detailed far more as to the exact requirements. Clearly it is not as simple as putting a single wind speed figure down.
Old 28 December 2012, 15:34   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Younger View Post
Whilst I'm not happy about the wind speed limitation as it is - the point that people miss so much - is that this (and other rule changes) are often brought in as a result of insurance cover requirements, legal reasons etc.

All to easy to blame the RYA without knowing the full facts.

As to regards of the 25knot wind limitation - I hope this does get looked at and detailed far more as to the exact requirements. Clearly it is not as simple as putting a single wind speed figure down.
With respect WHY it is in place doesn't matter to the competitors - it's the limit that counts! The announcement was made by the RYA (as an insurance led decision) and the RYA is the only point of contact to sort it out - I don't even know who the insurance company or broker is - maybe we should find out and ask them? Will this limit be applied to all Marathon racing? Surely it should if the insurance company is insisting on it - what about class III and all other racing?

I have asked about this, the Race CV for the passenger permits and the revised dunk test but no firm answer in writing to any of it as yet - I hope "They" can sort it early in the new year as it is only harming the racing.
Old 31 December 2012, 08:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
With respect WHY it is in place doesn't matter to the competitors - it's the limit that counts!
Not strictly true and I don't think you are representing all the competitors - some do care why and others clearly not.

But as with many things - you need to understand how it works if you are going to improve it.

Certainly I hope this limit is raised or better defined to give more scope.
Old 31 December 2012, 18:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Younger View Post
Not strictly true and I don't think you are representing all the competitors - some do care why and others clearly not.

But as with many things - you need to understand how it works if you are going to improve it.

Certainly I hope this limit is raised or better defined to give more scope.
Fair enough although I don't represent anyone - just my team. As this is a public free forum it's a place for discussing issues although this probably isn't the thread for it!

As with anything raised on here that effects me and my team I raise that issues directly with whoever I can to resolve it - I have contacted the RYA and have been told that they are trying to at least add a direction caveat to the wind limit, there was no mention at all of a raising of the limit unless you know better as you have better connections to officialdom? Who else could I contact about this? You obviously have information I don't?

Of course we agree that the limit isn't in the remotely bit sensible and will not help the race, as I said before it is a big issue for me as I don't want to tow my boat to the SOF and I'm absolutely certain most if not all teams would agree with me on that point!

Happy New Year!
Old 01 January 2013, 17:20   #19

I don't know too much on this one actually - part from it is being looked at along with many other issues. Just hope they are successful and get the race to happen.

Never come across wind limits before and I cannot really see how they can be applied. Twenty five knots maybe a force 6 - which can be bad in some circumstances - but I'm sure it something (and worse) that everyone racing would be expecting to encounter during the race.

But so many unanswered aspects of it - is it an average wind speed, a possiblity of a gust of that speed, any point on the actual leg ? All wildy different.

Anyway some common sense comes into play - but if this is something that the insurance companies have come up with it is pretty worrying for the future of Marathon racing. Although as far as I know there have been no insurance claims from current Marathon events as a result of raciung in stronger wind conditions (as the case has often been).

Anyway, all the best for a great 2013.

Tags
rib