Click Here to Login

Old 17 June 2005, 09:57   #1

Town: Warsaw
Make: Parker Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2.8 dsd mercruiser
Ostróda Elblag canal on a Parker

Hi,
This is my first post on rib net however i have been a keen reader for a long time. I had such an enjoyable weekend in Poland on a Parker 630 with a 150 Optimax i thought i'd share some of the Pics with all you ribsters.

Especially as the cruise we did from Ostróda to Elbląg is a rather special trip that takes you over several skipways that are a monument of hydrotechnical art. Here's a bit of history:

HISTORICAL OUTLINE

Ostróda - Elbląg Canal, called also Elbląg Canal, is the unique water system connecting several Western Masurian Lakes with Vistula Bay. The orginality of the system depends on the harnessing the natural in this region water levels difference of 100 m into the system of locks and skipways. The last ones are the rail lift devices mechanically driven by water power.

This world standard monument of the hydrotechnical art designed by Dutch engineer Jakob Georg Steenke in the beginning of XIX century on the court of Frederick I and II for the economical purpose of water connecting of East Prussia (German: "Oberland") with Baltic Sea - waited almost 20 years for the beginning of the construction , (1825-1844).

The period of construction was much shorter - only 8 years. Since 1852 the steamer belonging to the Shipowner from Iława "Reederei Cardinal" started to cruise between Iława and Elbląg, and then the screw propeler steamers "Martha" and "Ernst" of the company "Reederei Matzmor". The shipowner from Zalewo of the name Munter had the ship "Ursula".

The stretch Miłomłyn - Ostróda was oficially opened in 1860, but the first ship from Elbląg achieved Ostróda by the canal in 1856. The last stretch of the canals system from Ostróda to Stare Jabłonki was put to use not before 1873.

The openning of the concurent railway line almost in the same time - in 1872 lowered the economical significance of the canal, however till 1912 it was used for the transportation of agriculture goods, timber and industrial products.

Besides floating the wood, the transporting was done by the transport ships of Ostróda Water Constructions Office (German: "Waserbauamt"): the steamers "Steenke", "Rothloff" and motor tug "Osterode". The shipowner Adolf Tetzlaff (born in Siemiany in 1888) used these ships later. His navigation enterprise "Schifts - Reederei Adolf Tetzlaff" was enriched of the ship "Herta" and the tourist unit "Heini" (1925). After 1927 the ship "Konrad" - constructed in Elbląg shipyard - began the regular tourist cruises Ostróda - Elbląg.

The organization of the cruises in the thirties was taken over by the Tourist Service Office (German: "Verkehrburo") in Ostróda. In Elbląg the tourist navigation was offered by two offices run by Wenzel and Harwaedt and by the society from Królewiec (Konigsborg) named "Landesverkehrverband Ost-u. Westpreussen e.V.". The enterprise of A. Tetzlaff existed till the end of 1944. The operations during the war 1945 caused the serious damages of canal devices.

By initiative of Zygmunt Mianowicz and with the help of A. Tetzlaff the canal was again ready to use in 1948, and Gdańsk Shipping Company resumed the regular tourist cruises.

In the middle seventies the fleet was taken over by Żegluga Mazurska (Masurian Navigation), and since 1992 the shipowner of "Ostróda - Elbląg Navigation" is self government Department of Public Transportation in Ostróda.
* taken from "http://www.zegluga.com.pl/ang/index_ag.htm"

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pochylnia tech.jpg
Views:	1949
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	12687   Click image for larger version

Name:	kanal plan.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	12688   Click image for larger version

Name:	pochylnia 6301.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	12689   Click image for larger version

Name:	gears.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	12690   Click image for larger version

Name:	outof water.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	12692  

Old 17 June 2005, 10:00   #2

Town: Warsaw
Make: Parker Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2.8 dsd mercruiser
and a few more pics

here are a few more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ship.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	12693   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	12694   Click image for larger version

Name:	slipway.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	12695  
Old 17 June 2005, 10:29   #3

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Hi Chris

and welcome to RibNet

I posted some of your pictures on an earlier thread but this canal info is really something

Look forward to more posts and more pictures of ribbing in Poland
Old 17 June 2005, 14:08   #4

Town: Iqaluit, Nunavut
Boat name: Turaagaq -North Star
Make: Bombard WB 385 -2002
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25 4-Stroke
That is very interesting, what a great and looks like so much fun lake hopping. I purchased my RIB for the low weight factor and I might try some portaging from lake to lake this summer for fishing with no engine of course. 1 KM is about my limit before it's just not fun anymore.