Old 21 August 2005, 22:47   #41

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Whitham
Your boat looks very well finished and I wondered how things have worn and how her condition has held up.

She's still just as good as the day I bought her, only fault I have is that the perspex screen is beginning to crack slightly where it's bolted to the frame, but Barnet have fixed this with rubber washers on new boats and said they will replace mine for me if I want. Other than that she's perfect. I do look after her well though and always cover her up after use.

All this 50 knot stuff takes its toll. Also when I first saw the pics , I wondered how the seat padding would fare after a seasons use - hopefully well.

I have given the boat quite a hammering, taking her out for a play in F6+ whenever I can and nothing has fallen off or broken. The hull is perfect also, no cracks or anything like that. The seat padding is like new also, I suppose this is a testament to the soft, dry ride of the RIB

Whats your long term economy from the boat?

Well I average 1.2nm/litre. I could have improved on this had I kept the speed to under 30kts, but thats easier said than done . I've done nearly 1500nm in her so far, so she's travelled a bit too. Oil consumption was initially high but now I'm using so little I don't even keep track. I'm not even half way through the 12x4l drums I bought with the boat

Very interested because this is on my shortlist for next year

Can't reccommend them highly enough. I don't really understand about the magazine saying it's not top end stuff as Barnet fit the best of everything on these boats: high quality stainless work and fittings, strong hatches, aluminium tanks, Seastar Pro steering, Carling switches with quality fuses and battery, Racor Fuel filter, Platinum control cables, Leafield C7 valves, etc, etc. What magazine reviewed it? Barnet have been excellent, and there customer service is top-notch.

Also - is your mother in law still a fan?

Never said anything about my mother in-law?? I'm only 20 so ain't got one yet!! I presume you mean my Mother? She's got the bug alright and I'm currently teaching her how to drive it (don't know if that's a good thing or not though

Reards Rob
Hope this helps!! If you decide to order one, e-mail/PM me if you need any advice!!
Old 21 August 2005, 22:50   #42

Don't know if you've seen this thread but there's some more pics of us messin about here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....light=airborne
Old 22 August 2005, 10:00   #43

Just seen that the XS-700 was reviewed in RIB-International. Anybody have a copy of this that they can scan and e-mail on to me. I can't get it over here and am interested in reading it?
Old 23 August 2005, 19:05   #44

Town: Wimborne
Boat name: Baily X
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50
Send a message via AIM to Rob Whitham
XS700 review

Hi Thanks for the reply. I will send the review tomorrow. I am very impressed by your comments 1500 miles is a lot in such a short time. I'm waiting until the beginning of next summer to make my mind up, between this and 2 or three others - I will go to the boatshow this year to see what the quality of the competition is like. In the meantime back out on the Searider and 28mph maximum!! I do get 14mpg though. Cheers Rob