Old 04 October 2013, 10:40   #1

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
NEW Parker 680 JET Rib

The Parker 680 Jet was specially designed for Parker Ribs by UK naval architect Adam Younger. Adam’s brief was the length of the craft, propulsion package and that water jet only was required. The engine is the Mercury Diesel TDI 3.0L 265HP with ZF63A gearbox and Hamilton Jet 213 drive. The performance after the initial trials surprised us all. Adam did a very good job. A speed of 40knots was achieved with superb sea keeping qualities. These photos were taken in the factory only yesterday prior to delivery for testing by the Polish Marine Police. Photos will be posted once the craft is back on the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2425a.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	86044   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2423a.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	86045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2421a.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	86046  
Old 04 October 2013, 12:28   #2

Parker 680 JET

and a few more pictures before the rib goes on the water.
Moulded deck and engine box which is service engineer friendly
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2439a.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	86051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2444a.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	86052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2447a.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	86053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2468a.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	86054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2498a.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	86055  

Old 04 October 2013, 12:31   #3

Parker 680 JET

and a few more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2513a.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	86056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2516a.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	86057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2432a.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	86058  
Old 04 October 2013, 12:44   #4

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
For some reason I have never liked inboard boats (don't ask me why).

However looking at the photo's you've posted Andre, I find myself strangely wanting one. Love the look of the hull with the purposefully designed and prominent spray rails. Obviously this is a commercial RIB, but I can see the benefit of a reversible rear seat so that you could turn the engine box in to a sunbed and convert it in to a fishing platform

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2013, 16:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
For some reason I have never liked inboard boats (don't ask me why).

However looking at the photo's you've posted Andre, I find myself strangely wanting one. Love the look of the hull with the purposefully designed and prominent spray rails. Obviously this is a commercial RIB, but I can see the benefit of a reversible rear seat so that you could turn the engine box in to a sunbed and convert it in to a fishing platform
Andy

my current demo rib is a diesel stern drive 320 HP. You can helm her on route to Cherbourg

By the way the engine box on the Jet rib is 185 cm long so it would make a good sun bed but not in our climate. A diving platform is an option.
Old 04 October 2013, 18:35   #6

Town: hallaar
Boat name: Bliksem
Make: ribquest
Engine: outboard
Hi Andre

Sorry i was not able to coem and see you on SBS or even the day after. So busy schedule and stuff on my head....

i am happy to see you are doing so well with the Parker Ribs!!! This is again a nice looking species!!

I am not an expert on Jet but 40knots for a 6.80 m rib does not seem fast especially if you consider the reasonable amount of 325HP!!! Ofcorz the weight of both engine and Jet contribute to that for sure but nevertheless....I was thinking bcoz of the better weight distribution it should contribute more to both handling and speed but obviously i am wrong

Is there any specific use for the Jet (shallow water or close encounters with people) and this Rib in specific???

Keep up the good work and please keep posting pictures; it is addictive
Old 04 October 2013, 19:23   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliksem View Post
I am not an expert on Jet but 40knots for a 6.80 m rib does not seem fast especially if you consider the reasonable amount of 325HP!!!
That's because it's a 265hp...

Old 04 October 2013, 19:46   #8

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
That's a pretty good speed for a jet drive actually; they're fairly inefficient due to the need to change helical thrust to linear thrust via the stators. Andre: how much did that boat cost out of interest?
Old 04 October 2013, 22:57   #9

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post

By the way the engine box on the Jet rib is 185 cm long so it would make a good sun bed
My feet would still stick over the end ;-)

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2013, 18:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
That's a pretty good speed for a jet drive actually; they're fairly inefficient due to the need to change helical thrust to linear thrust via the stators. Andre: how much did that boat cost out of interest?
Not so sure as yet. This will follow in due course. There will be two prices one for the open version the other with cabin. Radio and navigation equipment in option with Simrad / Lowrance being the first choice. A jet rib will no doubt be more expensive than a similar size rib with stern drive . This rib is aimed at a selective market and for sure not at the leisure one.

I am hoping to show it at Seawork next year
Old 05 October 2013, 18:52   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
My feet would still stick over the end ;-)
Yep, ditto!!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2013, 19:07   #12

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Not so sure as yet. This will follow in due course. There will be two prices one for the open version the other with cabin.
Cheers Andre. If you do find out how much they cost then I'd appreciate a pm; I think that's the best small jet-drive rib I've seen.
Old 06 October 2013, 11:28   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Nice looking boat Andre, what's the small control lever for low down on the console? & what is the "Volkswagen Marine" keypad for, is the engine a VW rebadged as Mercury?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2013, 18:11   #14

Town: Bransgore, Christchurch
Boat name: Clementine
Make: Ribtec 535
Engine: 2x Mariner 40 (6E9)
MMSI: Handheld no DSC
RIBase
Yep rebadged VW, VW pulled out the Marine market and Mercury are marketing them alongside what was previously the CMD range
Old 07 October 2013, 08:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Nice looking boat Andre, what's the small control lever for low down on the console? & what is the "Volkswagen Marine" keypad for, is the engine a VW rebadged as Mercury?
that lever has to be bucket control for the reverse. the VW engines are now branded Mercury Diesel TDI 3.0L 6 cyl 265HP and TDI 4.2L 8cyl 370HP, both now come with Smartcraft and DTS
Old 07 October 2013, 08:28   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Cheers Andre. If you do find out how much they cost then I'd appreciate a pm; I think that's the best small jet-drive rib I've seen.
I am expecting a price and will post it. Adam Younger did a good job on the hull. The deck and engine box is our design and for the initial tests we only had a laminated plywood deck, no engine box and a remote fuel tank. The first results were so encouraging that we quickly made a deck and engine box mould. The engine box had to consist of two sections due to total length. Also it had to be service engineer friendly. We have a 5 axel fully auto CMS m/c for making plugs and moulds so this was more or less an overnight job. The moulded deck also reduced the weight of the rib and that was the idea. Also a moulded deck and engine box will enhance any rib.
Old 07 October 2013, 09:08   #17

Town: Yarmouth
Boat name: 74 Rouge
Make: Aquavite
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 O/B
Many thanks for the comments Andre and a pleasure to work with Parker Boats.

Waterjet powered boats can be tricky to get right and often performance is not so great. The waterjet units in theirselves maybe reasonably (or better) efficient - but when you combine their effects on the hull the whole package can lead to disappointing figures.

But we used some new features on the 680 hull and very happy with the performance so far. The craft also has very good internal dimensions, handling and other characteristics to make a very serious work RIB. Also the build and looks of the finished craft are excellent and all credit to Parkers for this.
Old 07 October 2013, 10:13   #18

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Younger View Post

Waterjet powered boats can be tricky to get right and often performance is not so great. The waterjet units in theirselves maybe reasonably (or better) efficient - but when you combine their effects on the hull the whole package can lead to disappointing figures..
Yep, water jets are actually very efficient units as tip losses around the blades are reduced to a minimum. Being that the impeller rotates in a tunnel. An open prop lloses out to an impeller as quite a bit if energy is spent "throwing" water out radially instead of axially.

The problem with jets comes when you try to supply the impeller with a clean flow of water. You are in effect having ti 'lift' the water up into the impeller and then propel it out the rear. As AY says, hull design is critical.

During my days offshore i used to regularly helm jet drive FRC ribs. These were mainly norwegian built aluminium Ulstein SeaBear's . Awesome boats, 8 meters long, 320hp inboard diesel jet drive but were only capably of 30 ish knots. Mind you they did weigh nearly 3 tonnes. :-).
You could drive one of those through s brick wall and not notice!
Only thing i used to hate about them was ( like a lot of jet ribs) steerage at low speed/engine rpm was dreadful. There's something to be said about having an outboard leg sticking out under the hull.

Very nice rib that Parker jet.... Seems like a very serious company indeed Parker.....In fact dare i say it on here but i have been eyeing up those Parker pilothouse fast fishers for some time now.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 08 October 2013, 13:33   #19

Quote:
that lever has to be bucket control for the reverse. the VW engines are now branded Mercury Diesel TDI 3.0L 6 cyl 265HP and TDI 4.2L 8cyl 370HP, both now come with Smartcraft and DTS
correction to Pikey Dave's question

Sorry but I got it wrong the bottom lever at knee height disengages the gearbox. The lever to control the bucket is the one on the right side of the RC box and the throttle is on the left side
Old 08 October 2013, 13:55   #20

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
correction to Pikey Dave's question

Sorry but I got it wrong the bottom lever at knee height disengages the gearbox. The lever to control the bucket is the one on the right side of the RC box and the throttle is on the left side
Ahh right No need to beat yerself up Andre So, bearing in mind I've never driven a jet drive, I assume this is how it works:-

The small lever in question engages the gearbox, which only ever runs in one direction (no sh1t boy band jokes please)

The throttle lever does what the throttle lever does.

The traditional "gear lever" actually controls the bucket which directs the flow of water for either forward or reverse.

So to put the boat into neutral, you would use the small lever & disengage the gearbox?

Is there much movement of the boat at tickover with the gearbox engaged? or is it a 3 lever manoeuvre to stop the boat?

Is there a neutral position on the bucket which produces neither a forward or reverse thrust?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib