Old 19 September 2005, 22:18   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Needles IOW Saturday 17 sept 2005

Managed to get round the IOW on saturday anti clockwise with a friend. heres a couple of photos...............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ribnedt2.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	14551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine 014.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	14552   Click image for larger version

Name:	ribnet 1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	14553  
Old 20 September 2005, 05:52   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Excellent - tell us more... where did you launch and did you stop off anywhere?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2005, 07:40   #3

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Would love to do that in my searider, is there anything dangerous to look out for - havent got any charts for the island yet?
Old 20 September 2005, 12:21   #4

Richard,

launched from Fishery Creek in Chichester Harbour. My friend had the bit between his teeth and the Solent was kind so we motored staright down to Yarmouth without stopping took a little over an hour and twenty minutes. Sat in the middle of the channel then and had a beer and chinwag. Then went in to Alum Bay to have some more beer but both boats were empty, damn. Next we went off the Needles and took the photos.

Although the sun was nice it was still cold when we were moving so it was time for the balaclava.

From the Needles the sea state started to liven up although it didn't get rough until about 4 miles before St Catherines Point. Interesting working the boat through the rough water. Their was a stiff Northerly wind so I guess that was causing the interesting conditions. Strangely off St Catherines point the water was calmer. We didn't stop anywhere on that leg although I had considered topping up my tanks as I was getting a bit low. Saw a couple of yachts and trawlers but that was it in 20 miles. Very quiet but the coastline is quite stunning.

Between St Catherines Point and Shanklin we kept coming across what I believe are RIP Tides. The worst one being off Monks Bay which a mile off shore seemed to be causing a line of breakers but further inshore was causing the water to be very agitated but not break. It was here that we would loose sight of each other occasionally as my mate went very close to the big stuff whilst I stayed in the confused water.

At shanklin I refuelled as I had used up 25 litres by then. We were going to stop for lunch but there were breakers on the shore so we decided to go round to Culver Bay. As Shanklin was sheltered it took very little time to get to Culver Bay. Here we stopped for lunch and managed to get the boats stranded on the beach because the tide was going out rapidly. ( I have now got myself a little tender so we can anchor farther out).

After lunch it was a quick sprint round Bember Ledge Marker and zoom in to Portsmouth Harbour for a couple of well earned beers on the Haslar Lightship.

Off the harbour entrance I decided to have a bit of fun jumping the wake of a fast motor cruiser. Big mistake the first part of the wake was okay but the second bit was vertical and I managed to stuff the nose and get a torrent of water in the boat. That was the first time I'd managed to get water in the boat all day.

My mate wanted to go one better and jump the wake of an outgoing Catamaran Channel ferry but thought better of it after seeing the wake getting kicked up.

After that we went round to Langstone Harbour where we had arranged our pickup. Because we arrived early we thought we would have a bit of a lark around in the harbour entrance. It was at this point I ran out of fuel and had the ignomy of getting towed in, in front of all the people at the Ferry Inn obviously thinking I had broken the boat.

The whole trip of about 70 NM used 35 Litres of fuel.
Old 20 September 2005, 12:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit
Would love to do that in my searider, is there anything dangerous to look out for - havent got any charts for the island yet?
Hi Mate,

If your going to do it get yourself the charts and a Marine GPS so you can enter waypoints.

The first time I did the trip was in May in heavy fog from Yarmouth to Sandown. 100 meter visibilty but it worked because of the GPS.

Also make sure you take plenty of fuel, food and drink. The south west IOW is pretty barren.

And go with another boat. One that is capable of towing you if you break down.

Thats the last of the lessons, pick a good day and it shouldn't be a problem in a searider. Its a bit different to just going to Cowes for lunch, that long stretch along the south side really opens your eyes up to what its like to travel a fair distance on a boat.

We are contemplating France but feel the paperwork will probably stop us.

My mate wants to fill both boats with cheap tobacco !!!!
Old 20 September 2005, 19:12   #6

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Enjoyed reading about your trip. Sounds like you had an exciting time! Do you have any more photos?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2005, 19:20   #7

Louise,

Sorry all the photos are pretty similar.

I ruined a camera at the Needles earlier this year so I take great care of this one. Also its a bit hard to take photo's whilst driving a wee RIB in the exciting stuff.

One day I'm going to treat myself to a cheap camera and get my son to drive. But thats another story.

Regards Nick R.
Old 20 September 2005, 19:57   #8

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Sounds like an excellent trip

Us