Old 10 July 2006, 05:29   #21

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Hmm. Maybe lashing straps from the rear of the rib to the rear dolly axle and a strap from the bow to the front dolly axle? Then hook up a winch to the front dolly axle and winch her to the parking lot. This would at least be a two person operation I think. Or maybe you could hook up a tongue and a bow winch like on a boat trailer. Make it removable for transportation and such but you could use the wrachet to pull the rib on the dolly and keep it snug on the bunks and not slide off the rear, kinda like Rogan's 6 wheeled dolly.

Nothing beats simply trying it out though. I hope it works out well for you in any case. Let me know how it goes.
Old 11 July 2006, 21:47   #22

Town: gaviota
Boat name: sr4
Make: AVON
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Merc 2st
good idea b-ster. i just had a go loading the rib onto the dolly using a ratcheting tie down strap and it worked like a charm, sliding easily from trailer to dolly. once it was on the dolly i practiced moving it around on the sidewalk in front of my house and it balanced easily. also did not seem like it wanted to slide off the dolly at all. of course the real test will be trying to muscle it over the sand...i think i'll use the straps to lash it front and back (to the axles) so we'll be able to put a shoulder to it for persuasion.
Old 12 July 2006, 07:08   #23

Cool! BTW the hoist might be going up very soon. They are implementing a carding system where you get trained on how to use the hoist and the get issued a card. Eventually those with cards will be able to use the hoist 7 days a week from what I've heard. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Old 12 July 2006, 14:56   #24

where did you get the info on the launch and card system? i sure hope it happens and the sooner the better. here's a coupla photos of the dolly in action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	20869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	20870  
Old 12 July 2006, 15:36   #25

Hey that looks great.

I have a buddy that knows whats going on with the hoist and what the park rangers are planning to do. You'd probably be able to find out more if you go there and ask the rangers for info. From what I know there is an e-mail list to get all the latest info. Thats all I know really, I'm not on that list.

Also, how do you plan to get the boat up onto the dolly once you come in from the surf? Maybe some sort of hand crank winch? Because of the deep V hull the boat is going to really lean over to one side on the beach.

Anyways hopefully with the winch back up we can all launch from the pier again. Its supposed to be made in the USA so parts will be readily accesible.

Can you take more photos of the tubes? I see you used the SRC paint. How do you like it? How does it stick to the tubes?
Old 12 July 2006, 15:47   #26

thanks for the info, i'll see if the ranger knows anything next time i'm down there. as to retrieving the rib i figure i'll be able to pull the dolly as far into the water as i can and try to pull that sucker right up onto it. then i'll use the ratcheting strap attached to the long tongue handle and hoist away. that long handle works great for leverage. i've also posted a detail of the trim tabs lifted up out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1115.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	20872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	20873  
Old 12 July 2006, 16:07   #27

src tuff coat

the src tube paint worked out great (so far). of course you just have to follow the instructions; most importantly you have to clean it very well and then you have to let the undercoating fully cure before putting the topcoating on. i used starbright boat wash first and then M.E.K. on any spots that seemed to need more cleaning (taking care not to overdo it as per the sage advice of jyaski). in the photo of the interior you can see the before color next to the after color to get an idea of how much different it is. to quote senor Jardon, I'm well chuffed and having fun now that its done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0419.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	20874   Click image for larger version

Name:	rivera surf.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	20875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	20876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1134.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	20877  
Old 13 July 2006, 04:31   #28

Lookin good! I'd be curious to know how that stuff weathers over time. Pealing, abrasion etc. The tubes on my 18'er look beat but they get the job done. We got some storms brewing in Baja right now. Lets pray for some good waves.
Old 13 July 2006, 10:58   #29

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotapete
the src tube paint worked out great (so far). of course you just have to follow the instructions; most importantly you have to clean it very well and then you have to let the undercoating fully cure before putting the topcoating on. i used starbright boat wash first and then M.E.K. on any spots that seemed to need more cleaning (taking care not to overdo it as per the sage advice of jyaski). in the photo of the interior you can see the before color next to the after color to get an idea of how much different it is. to quote senor Jardon, I'm well chuffed and having fun now that its done.
That looks similar to the waves we were out in last Sunday - awesome fun!!! There were a load even worse than that but we kept well away from those - depth of water on the sand bank under them would prob have been about 2'. Stuffing into a wave is bad enough - stuffing into the ground is even worse!!!
Old 13 July 2006, 11:09   #30

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
awesome fun!!!
D'you know, Codders, for a minute there I could have sworn you were talking like an American

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Nothing against the Yanks but we don't all want to start speaking like them - do we?
Old 13 July 2006, 16:09   #31

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
D'you know, Codders, for a minute there I could have sworn you were talking like an American

You do have a point there!!!