Old 19 September 2016, 19:05   #21

The very best with "Lunasea" looks great . Where did you get the Suzuki smart gauges and are they expensive.
Old 19 September 2016, 19:08   #22

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
The answer's quite simple for me.....I'm left handed, which means I can use my more natural / more dexterous (even though it's left ) hand to work throttle - with trim controlled by my forefinger as JK says -, and also manage plotter and radio controls, and do anything else whilst all my right hand has to do is hold on to the wheel and steer.

I think most power boats I've handled have had wheel on starboard side, and throttle to the left. I have had a boat with the throttle to the right of the wheel, for me wheel on starboard and throttle to left feels more natural/ and I'm now more used to it. To be honest, I didn't really think about the option of mounting the wheel on the port side
Old 19 September 2016, 19:15   #23
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
The answer's quite simple for me.....I'm left handed, which means I can use my more natural / more dexterous (even though it's left ) hand to work throttle - with trim controlled by my forefinger as JK says -, and also manage plotter and radio controls, and do anything else whilst all my right hand has to do is hold on to the wheel and steer.
Sounds like you've got it all worked out.

Dominant hand for throttle is my choice too. When things get bumpy it's the main control and a bit of finesse is helpful.

Other people prefer the wheel in their dominant hand which is fair enough if that's what suits them. Even if they are wrong
Old 19 September 2016, 19:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by colind View Post
The very best with "Lunasea" looks great . Where did you get the Suzuki smart gauges and are they expensive.
Thank you, colind.
Having 2 muti-gauges fitted may be a slight extravagance, technically a single one would give trim revs, speed - which analogue wouldn't - and fuel, but the second one will allow me to have one gauge showing speed rev / trim etc... whilst the second can show fuel consumption etc...

Another option would have been to interface the data through to the plotter, but I thought that less good as the readouts would be offset from eyeline, and leaves less screen for the charts.

The additional cost was pretty minor against the overall price - might even pay back through improved fuel consumption....well I can dream In any case they look cool, so that justifies them anyway.

LT
Old 19 September 2016, 19:32   #25

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:

I think most power boats I've handled have had wheel on starboard side, and throttle to the left. I have had a boat with the throttle to the right of the wheel, for me wheel on starboard and throttle to left feels more natural/ and I'm now more used to it. To be honest, I didn't really think about the option of mounting the wheel on the port side
that seems a good enough reason. Many thanks for your explanation and happy ribbing
Old 19 September 2016, 19:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Other people prefer the wheel in their dominant hand which is fair enough if that's what suits them. Even if they are wrong
Nothing like an unbiased, straight to the point even-handed reply to pour oil on the troubled waters of a potentially divisive ribnet thread

Of course, you are right in your assessment as always Mr K
Old 19 September 2016, 19:52   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Having 2 muti-gauges fitted may be a slight extravagance
Nah!
Quote:
In any case they look cool, so that justifies them anyway.
Yah!

Information is Power.

Right mitt on the throttle, low down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Console.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	116101  
Old 19 September 2016, 20:22   #28

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Left handed throttle for me, but at the same time I don't mind right either. Lovely rib...

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1474316524.784211.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	116102
Old 19 September 2016, 20:31   #29

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Throttle hand becomes redundant on a Pac 22 once the throttle has been pushed all the way forwards. Said hand can then be used to wrestle with recalcitrant Wagner 701 helm pump whilst motioning for crew to move to port to mitigate prop induced list.

I also have multi-gauge of which only one or two work.

It's still creates a bit of RIB envy (in a Tonka toy kind of way).
Old 19 September 2016, 20:43   #30

One more pic....Mrs T obviously takes a better photo than me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160918_103756.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	116103  
Old 19 September 2016, 20:45   #31

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
my old boat has throttle on the left and i find it a pita to be honest trying to adjust the trim with my pinky the new boat is on the right hand side
Old 19 September 2016, 21:21   #32

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
👍Attachment 116096

Lions led by donkeys

Love that boat. ;-)
Old 19 September 2016, 22:55   #33

Length: 7m +
I might be asking a daft question and i do like the look of your rib, is the only access to the inside of the console through that small panel in the front ?

Reason i ask is, from experience things may go wrong with the electrics or you might want to add some components if so it may be difficult if the only access is that front small hatch.

I think they could have done better than simply screwing the electric panel through the console in such a visibl location, check they havent used self tappers. And dont take offence, nice looking rib but i would look closer at a few things.

I had a look round the boat show at all the ribs and a few manufacturers disnt seem to take the issue of access in mind at all which was dissapointing as it makes living with a rib an issue at times.

A other manufacturer i saw thought it was fine to mount the vhf radio at just below knee height on lower part of console, the only way you could phyiscaly read the display would be to sit on the deck between the seat and the console. His attitude was its a leisure rib most people dont need the radio.
Old 20 September 2016, 05:58   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I might be asking a daft question and i do like the look of your rib, is the only access to the inside of the console through that small panel in the front ?.
The console access is through the hatch on the front of the console - it's not that small, and it's the standard RC console hatch. I had same size on my 5.3 and never had a problem accessing the control panel, water separator, battery etc, all housed inside.There's also a good deal of room for storage of bags etc in there. There is an option to fit different Lewmar hatches (+£), I chose not to for my use.

I think if I were spec-ing for more of a commercial use I would probably go fro the Lewmar hatch on the console. I know other RC owners have views on console hatches.
Old 20 September 2016, 06:03   #35

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Do you have close up of the gauges? Suzuki have released 3 different gauges in as many years, I think yours might be the latest ones. Just curious to see em.

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 06:18   #36

Length: 3m +
Quote:
I might be asking a daft question and i do like the look of your rib, is the only access to the inside of the console through that small panel in the front ?

Reason i ask is, from experience things may go wrong with the electrics or you might want to add some components if so it may be difficult if the only access is that front small hatch.
Yeh - coz the RibCraft factory have those mini-robotic people that do all the wiring up for them... ...oh no thats right they have full size humans who installed the original kit through that hatch so why can't the owner maintain through it?

Quote:
I think they could have done better than simply screwing the electric panel through the console in such a visibl location, check they havent used self tappers. And dont take offence, nice looking rib but i would look closer at a few things.
So - how would you have done it?

Quote:
I had a look round the boat show at all the ribs and a few manufacturers disnt seem to take the issue of access in mind at all which was dissapointing as it makes living with a rib an issue at times.
If they've fitted the electrics it can't be that tricky to access or they would take it into account. If they are supplying "Bare" for you to fit - up to you to consider access during the fit out...

Quote:
A other manufacturer i saw thought it was fine to mount the vhf radio at just below knee height on lower part of console, the only way you could phyiscaly read the display would be to sit on the deck between the seat and the console. His attitude was its a leisure rib most people dont need the radio.
Clearly he was wrong. What he should have said was its not a problem if you upgrade to a Remote Controlled Mike...

For sailing club rescue boats etc - most sit on 37A all the time, never use DSC etc - may not be an issue.

If I'm buying a brand new RIB I expect to be able to say I want the VHF 4 inches to the left of the fuel gauge, the fuel gauge 2 inches to the left of the wheel etc... ...thats the beauty of buying new.
Old 20 September 2016, 07:54   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Do you have close up of the gauges? Suzuki have released 3 different gauges in as many years, I think yours might be the latest ones. Just curious to see em.
Hi Mr PD,
These are the latest ones - I haven't got any close ups yet - I will do once I have her on the water and worked out how to get best displays!

Attached images & description from latest catalogue. Decision to change from traditional analogue to these was really late one, so bit of a leap of faith, but I think the right choice (well I certainly hope so!), and I trust the team at Ribcraft to fit items that works, and professionally.

LT
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suzuki Gauge.pdf (354.5 KB, 72 views)
Old 20 September 2016, 07:55   #38

And another picture
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suzuki gauges 1.pdf (477.0 KB, 85 views)
Old 20 September 2016, 18:34   #39

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Is there any particular reason why you have opted for the helm on the starboard side as using the throttle lever with your left hand you will have to use your little finger to control the trim button. With the helm on portside it is much easier to operate the trim button with the thumb of your right hand
The reason most power boats have the helm on the starboard side is the normal right handed rotation of the prop creates a tendency for the boat to heal to the left. If single handed, this would be further exaggerated by having the helm on the port side.
Old 20 September 2016, 20:07   #40

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
The reason most power boats have the helm on the starboard side is the normal right handed rotation of the prop creates a tendency for the boat to heal to the left. If single handed, this would be further exaggerated by having the helm on the port side.
Excellent answer

Back to the OP - very nice RIB and a pic of the console and seating taken on Friday at the show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lunasea.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	116130