Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIB gallery
Click Here to Login

Old 08 January 2017, 18:43   #1
mrr

Make: XS ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury F 150hp
Learning to fly a drone from my RIB (XSribs 650)

Getting to grips with all the equipment for our trip to arctic Norway. Learning to fly my drone from the RIB.

Old 08 January 2017, 19:09   #2

i assume it is a phantom 4 as it has obstacle avoidance?, in which case you can try the follow me mode (if you weren't already?). i don't own a phantom 4 as i went with a typhoon H but it follows my rib no problems.

btw, turn obstacle avoidance off and make sure you never keep flying too far, the phantom thinks home is where you turn it on so if anything happens it goes back to where you turned it on and lands.....yep....in the wet stuff. a friend lost his phantom 4 in the north sea about 6 months ago as he had it up following the ship he works on for about 10 mins, it went beyond the geofence from "home" and off it flew back to "home" never to be seen again. you can turn it off but in a panic he didn't

look forward to seeing more vids though

Old 08 January 2017, 19:15   #3

Town: Western Colorado
Boat name: Vanilla Ice Cream
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Johnson Outboard
Looks like fun to get video of your RIB in the water.

FYI for those looking to buy one and use while boating - Swell Pro makes a water proof drone. You can even fly it underwater and film.

Here's a youtube link of Rick Moore testing a 2nd generation one.

https://youtu.be/38j_3lpnVYs

Erik
Old 08 January 2017, 19:31   #4

Erik, you can't fly this under water, it will sit on top of the water though which is assume you what you meant bud.

there is a couple of waterproof drones out there and some more due this year. i suspect the big boys will bring out something in due course.

why gopro didn't do this with their drone is beyond me, they really have lost the plot at gopro HQ.
Old 08 January 2017, 19:31   #5
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaIceCream View Post
Looks like fun to get video of your RIB in the water.

FYI for those looking to buy one and use while boating - Swell Pro makes a water proof drone. You can even fly it underwater and film.

Here's a youtube link of Rick Moore testing a 2nd generation one.

https://youtu.be/38j_3lpnVYs

Erik
Incredible, flyng a drone underwater.
Old 08 January 2017, 19:37   #6
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
i assume it is a phantom 4 as it has obstacle avoidance?, in which case you can try the follow me mode (if you weren't already?). i don't own a phantom 4 as i went with a typhoon H but it follows my rib no problems.

btw, turn obstacle avoidance off and make sure you never keep flying too far, the phantom thinks home is where you turn it on so if anything happens it goes back to where you turned it on and lands.....yep....in the wet stuff. a friend lost his phantom 4 in the north sea about 6 months ago as he had it up following the ship he works on for about 10 mins, it went beyond the geofence from "home" and off it flew back to "home" never to be seen again. you can turn it off but in a panic he didn't

look forward to seeing more vids though

Thanks. It is the phantom 4 pro. It was in tracking mode. Next time I will use the follow me mode, it is probably easier. Will turn obstacle avoidance mode off. There seems to be a sort of dynamic home setting in the basic menu, it is possible to update your home position in the dji 4 app. I did not test it yet.
Old 08 January 2017, 19:41   #7

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
There's also an underwater drone if you head anywhere that has clear water like we do This underwater drone lets you take fishing to the next level | WHAS11.com
Old 08 January 2017, 19:45   #8

i'm sure it will serve you well buddy, post up anymore you take.

i actually own a few of these (including phantom) and they are great things, just a pity idiots are buying them and flying near airports etc.
Old 09 January 2017, 00:06   #9

Town: Western Colorado
Boat name: Vanilla Ice Cream
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Johnson Outboard
Quote:
Erik, you can't fly this under water, it will sit on top of the water though which is assume you what you meant bud.

there is a couple of waterproof drones out there and some more due this year. i suspect the big boys will bring out something in due course.

why gopro didn't do this with their drone is beyond me, they really have lost the plot at gopro HQ.
I actually did mean you can fly it underwater.

In Rick Moore's video series, he takes the first generation Drone to a pool and "fly's" it underwater. I don't have the time to search his video's, but it was posted in 2016.

1. Did it "fly" very well? NO.

2. Was it underwater operating and moving according to the controls? Yes.

3. Did the water ruin it? NO.

4. Would I fly it underwater? NO.

5. Would I buy it - maybe.

Erik
Old 09 January 2017, 08:57   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Good quality resolution... and getting there skills wise I'd say

Sorry but I was most amused by your footage coupled with the commentary with the attempts to land on board....and the "Technology" recognising the Boat as something to be avoided!
I was thinking..I hope this ends well!...AND surly a good read of the instructions would have been better whilst still on Dry land!
Glad it worked out in the end!...certainly brightened up my morning!
Look forward to seeing some more footage in the future.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2017, 09:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaIceCream View Post
I actually did mean you can fly it underwater.

In Rick Moore's video series, he takes the first generation Drone to a pool and "fly's" it underwater. I don't have the time to search his video's, but it was posted in 2016.

1. Did it "fly" very well? NO.

2. Was it underwater operating andt moving according to the controls? Yes.

3. Did the water ruin it? NO.

4. Would I fly it underwater? NO.

5. Would I buy it - maybe.

Erik
I will have a look thanks, it doesn't have a flooding hull and it has self tightening propellers which mean you can't run them in reverse to pull it under or the props will simply come off, not sure how it stayed under water then.
Old 11 January 2017, 10:39   #12
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Good quality resolution... and getting there skills wise I'd say

Sorry but I was most amused by your footage coupled with the commentary with the attempts to land on board....and the "Technology" recognising the Boat as something to be avoided!
I was thinking..I hope this ends well!...AND surly a good read of the instructions would have been better whilst still on Dry land!
Glad it worked out in the end!...certainly brightened up my morning!
Look forward to seeing some more footage in the future.
thanks.
Ha, yes no problem. I did read the instruction pretty well and tested the drone on the land and flew it through the forest and over a steep mountain ridge. see this video below. Everytime catching the drone from the air instead of landing it on the ground as a training for usage on the rib. This was not a problem. On the rib the technology worked out a little different then expected. It was a good learning experience.
Old 15 January 2017, 13:51   #13

Quote:
I will have a look thanks, it doesn't have a flooding hull and it has self tightening propellers which mean you can't run them in reverse to pull it under or the props will simply come off, not sure how it stayed under water then.
just to come back to this, the CEO says it can go under water but to about 1m, you basically slam it in from a height and it goes down to a max of 1m and pops right back up, i.e it is very bouyant so your not really going under water. i would bet if you slam it hard enough to go 1m in you won't have a drone anymore, will be lots of bits on seabed. not sure i would call that "flying under water". some people have turned it upside down and powered it under (which i assume was what was meant above?) but it is going to be of very limited use for a few technical reasons i would think-

1. radio doesn't penetrate water, it will only go to about 1m using 2.4ghz which most of them use (this one certainly does). if the video is 5.8ghz (a lot are) then you can only go down about 1ft ish and you lose video. it will work fine though if you land on water and want some just sub surface shots, would be quite good that for getting outboard wakes etc i think.

2. the camera is upside down but post processing could fix this.

3. the camera gimbal won't work so will either freeze or more likely shake violently trying to right itself as upside down is well beyond the capability of any gimbal on a drone i know of just now. which one it does depends on how the firmware is on the gyros/controller

4. the controls are all reversed when inverted. a good RC heli pilot could maybe manage it though if anyone can.

5. the motors are still open with windings and bearings, they won't like salt. could fresh water flush them though ofcourse and just replace the bearings very time you do it.

i would suggest that if you want a drone buy a drone, if you want to go under water either tape a gopro to a pole or invest in some of the rov's popping onto the market these days.....i fancy an ROV myself i have to admit.

for boat use thought this splash drone looks ideal, who is getting one then
Old 15 January 2017, 16:11   #14

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
just to come back to this, the CEO says it can go under water but to about 1m, you basically slam it in from a height and it goes down to a max of 1m and pops right back up, i.e it is very bouyant so your not really going under water. i would bet if you slam it hard enough to go 1m in you won't have a drone anymore, will be lots of bits on seabed. not sure i would call that "flying under water". some people have turned it upside down and powered it under (which i assume was what was meant above?) but it is going to be of very limited use for a few technical reasons i would think-

1. radio doesn't penetrate water, it will only go to about 1m using 2.4ghz which most of them use (this one certainly does). if the video is 5.8ghz (a lot are) then you can only go down about 1ft ish and you lose video. it will work fine though if you land on water and want some just sub surface shots, would be quite good that for getting outboard wakes etc i think.

2. the camera is upside down but post processing could fix this.

3. the camera gimbal won't work so will either freeze or more likely shake violently trying to right itself as upside down is well beyond the capability of any gimbal on a drone i know of just now. which one it does depends on how the firmware is on the gyros/controller

4. the controls are all reversed when inverted. a good RC heli pilot could maybe manage it though if anyone can.

5. the motors are still open with windings and bearings, they won't like salt. could fresh water flush them though ofcourse and just replace the bearings very time you do it.

i would suggest that if you want a drone buy a drone, if you want to go under water either tape a gopro to a pole or invest in some of the rov's popping onto the market these days.....i fancy an ROV myself i have to admit.

for boat use thought this splash drone looks ideal, who is getting one then
when r you getting an rov there is a few cracking wrecks up Oban to try it on
Old 15 January 2017, 16:20   #15

if i get one it will be a while, wait and see what comes out this year.
Old 18 January 2017, 19:37   #16

Just updating this for anyone thinking of one.

DJI has just announced they are killing the phantom 4 off so deals are likely to be available in the near future. Bit poor for current owners as it was only released in March but they have the pro version still.

The phantom 3 is also gone so probably deals in the offing for those too.

BTW, there are better drones than dji imo for less money and of course more money!. Autel x star is a cracking bit of kit for much less than a Phantom for example.

Tags
rib