Old 27 July 2006, 22:14   #21

Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
Hi, glad you liked the photos.

Lightning photos are a bit tricky to capture, once you've seen it then you've missed it, the only way to really capture it is luck (I took well over 100, only 24 had lightning in seven of which are any good.) It does help if you have a huge-ass storm with lightning bolts every few seconds :-) and knowing the rough direction its coming from, big storms=lots of lightning.

As Tim said I was using iso 400, and 3 seconds per exposure, f number was f/6.3. In answer to Codprawn, lighning would overwelm (read overexpose) it if its bright enough (as seen in the second photo) This would also overexpose anything, ccd, cmos, film, (eyes) etc. Had I known the flash was going to be that bright, then I would have stopped down to F/8 or so as not to overexpose it :-p. In caves, astrophotography, ect where there is little or no light you would need a much longer shutter speed to get as much light to form an image, here you have millions of volts creating lots of very bright light in less than a second, that in the instance of the second photo is relativly close to the camera. An exposure of 10-30 seconds at this apature would have been too long as I was handheld, plus any subsequent flash would have added to the image and overexpose it, not to mention noise.

Hope that clears everything up, heres to the next storm... :-p

Mike.
Old 28 July 2006, 20:59   #22

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Mike, those pics are fantastic!

What's the chance of you emailing me the 7 originals? (3008x2000) as I'd like to see/print them in top quality.

Does anyone know if the point of contact did any serious damage at all? ie, was it a building, tree, pylon?

cheers

jf
Old 11 September 2006, 14:57   #23

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Saw this and thought of you guys

http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/09/lightning.html
Old 12 September 2006, 03:27   #24

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Amazing pics!! I would have to agree that about 10 to 20 sec at ISO 400 seems to work quite well. Lets ya just keep hitting the shutter. A hundred frames later and you have at least a few great shots. What a storm though!

Hey Cod you know anything about reciprocity failure? Or are you just talking about digital cameras?
Old 12 September 2006, 03:50   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan
Amazing pics!! I would have to agree that about 10 to 20 sec at ISO 400 seems to work quite well. Lets ya just keep hitting the shutter. A hundred frames later and you have at least a few great shots. What a storm though!

Hey Cod you know anything about reciprocity failure? Or are you just talking about digital cameras?
Know it well - tends to effect slower films - doesn't effect digi cameras but they have worse problems - noise - especially at high ISO settings. Also they suffer from heat build up in the ccd during long exposures which again causes noise. For astrophotography they use cameras with external cooling.

I used to do quite a lot of night photos and astrophotography - got some awesome slides - must get around to buying a GOOD slide scanner soon.
For most of my night photos I used a Canon A1 as a meter - best low light metering I have found - then transfered the settings to my other cameras.