Old 15 March 2005, 23:21   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Just an average day in the uk

I just thought I would add this pic to show an average day in the UK.

This was taken on the south coast of England near the Solent. It shows our slipways.

Any comments are left to visitors.

However I personally feel as though I have to hunt for my entrance to the sea.

Any comments are welcomed.

Maybe somebody could enlighten me on a slipway on the English South Coast that is :-

a) Well maintained.

b) Easily accesible.

c) Has free and secure parking.

I bet you can't ..........................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIB at Hayling 011uu.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	10804   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIB at Hayling 015uu.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	10805  
Old 16 March 2005, 00:50   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Not just the Enlish south coast - there are several slips around Swansea that are fenced off!!!
Old 16 March 2005, 06:23   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Boatlaunch.com is a good source of slipway ifo. I think your request for free parking is probably fanciful in these times, as it is a major source of revenue for councils

Out of interest how much would you pay for secure parking and good launch facilities

But off the top of my head It's gonna be

Daedulus in Lee on the Solent

Cross house road Southampton

Town Quay Southampton (not sure about free parking)

Ltmington Town Slipway (not sure about free parking)

Bedhampton ?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2005, 07:28   #4

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
The slipway at Hythe Marina used to be pretty good, very popular with Southampton Boatshow exhibitors.

I assume it's still free, with loads of parking.
Old 16 March 2005, 07:50   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
It does make my blood.........

...........boil. I wonder, is there some way one can site the "Right to Roam" act in such instances ? I'll investigate......... Not that it would do you any good when you pull up and find a £19.99 padlock stands between you and a good day out !

Addendum.... I took a look at this and the Ramblers Association web site but was unable to find anything of use. http://www.ramblers.org.uk/freedom/

http://www.waterscape.com/boating/
Old 16 March 2005, 08:35   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Maybe somebody could enlighten me on a slipway on the English South Coast that is :-

a) Well maintained.

b) Easily accesible.

c) Has free and secure parking.
Why do you think you should be able to expect free and secure parking? Or free anything for that matter! Free unsecure parking is hard enough to come by at the best of times, but who's going to pay for the security?

You didn't mention the cost for actually using the slipway. Should that be free too?

As ever www.boatlaunch.co.uk is the best source of launching info. Camber Dock in Portsmouth, and Northney Marina on Hayling Island both meet requirements a and b and have reasonably secure parking -- they're not free though

John
Old 16 March 2005, 09:28   #7
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
The slipway at Hythe Marina used to be pretty good, very popular with Southampton Boatshow exhibitors.

I assume it's still free, with loads of parking.
The council recently started charging £5 for parking. It’s a pretty secure place though as they have CCTV and the security guards make regular patrols, not to mention the nosy residents.

If only they would install a public hose it would be perfect.
Old 16 March 2005, 09:41   #8

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
If only they would install a public hose it would be perfect.
Should that not read Public House?
Nick
Old 16 March 2005, 11:58   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Why do you think you should be able to expect free and secure parking? Or free anything for that matter! Free unsecure parking is hard enough to come by at the best of times, but who's going to pay for the security?

You didn't mention the cost for actually using the slipway. Should that be free too?

As ever www.boatlaunch.co.uk is the best source of launching info. Camber Dock in Portsmouth, and Northney Marina on Hayling Island both meet requirements a and b and have reasonably secure parking -- they're not free though

John
Why not??? Free parking isn't free anyway - we pay more than enough in council tax as it is. There used to be quite a few slips in the Swansea area years ago that were free to use - now they have just been fenced off without any chance even to complain.

You also used to be able to launch boats off many beaches - these days most beaches have been closed to all vehicles - Pendine Sands being a classic example. It was the home of British Land speed records for many years - many people used to enjoy driving on the beach and there were NEVER any problems - until the council did a "risk assessment" and have now closed the beach!!!
Old 16 March 2005, 14:46   #10

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Biggles,

I'd echo what people say re boatlaunch website.

Specifically though, try free public slip at Swanwick (near Moody's) behind the Old Ship pub. Free car park and room to move about. Bit of a trip down the Hamble, but you can always do some yacht-gazing. Shingly but OK and not so good on a low tide. Watch the mud off the side.

Alternatively Warsash (free) - bit closer to Southampton water also free car park next door (gets full and limited times) and another a couple of hundred yards away. Also has pub opposite.

Can't comment on security - just lock up in line with your insurance! But as they say, 2 out of 3 ain't bad (or maybe 2.5 if you count the pubs)

Mike
Old 16 March 2005, 18:24   #11

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Hythe marina slip is still free,but pay for parking,£6for car and £6 for trailer,I used calshot last year,£110 for the year (sub 6m boat)and they have 2 taps and toilets,or around £12 a time,slip way is all tide but can get a nasty dumping chop,parking can be a problem due to open meetings on occasions
Old 16 March 2005, 18:36   #12

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
John,

Of course you don't get free parking. Paying for parking on Council land is just another form of tax. At the end of the day it is us the Council looks after the land for.

But I pay Council Tax, Income Tax, VAT, Fuel Duty and the list goes on and on. Why should I pay to park. Most of France has free parking, and several other countries as well.

With regards how much I would pay for secure parking. Probably not enough. But it would be nice to have some of my taxes spent on something I want to actually use.

It just seems in the south of England its very hard to do anything with a bit of freedom. Cycle routes are a joke. Even going for a walk gets a bit boring sticking to the same old footpaths.

Right to Roam is a joke.

The farmers are busy looking after their own interests and damn the subsidy payer.
Old 16 March 2005, 19:37   #13
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by timboli
Hythe marina slip is still free,but pay for parking,£6for car and £6 for trailer
Yes the slip is free. Car parking is £5 for car and trailer, all day, as long as they are attached to each other and parked in the trailer parking area.
Old 16 March 2005, 20:36   #14

Town: romsey
Boat name: marlin monroe
Make: ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: honda 50
Mike CC

We are new to ribbing (bought a ribcraft last March) and have ONLY launched at Swanwick....always easy to park (free!) and even at busy times never much of a wait. Yes you do have to watch the mud!! We enjoy the amble down the Hamble and from Romsey it's only 20 minutes drive! And anyway, on the way back always handy to go 2 minutes further up river to the Jolly Sailor!!

Julie & Mike
Old 16 March 2005, 21:12   #15

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
When my boat was small (and the trailer had bearing savers!) I used to launch at Hamble Le Rice where the parking isn't free, but there's a pontoon which you can sneak on briefly, and the car park is fairly well overlooked, so reasonably secure.

Interesting that you compare French slipways/access/parking... we did some research in 2003 and found that whilst our European neighbours have plenty of free slipways, those with good facilities and parking, trailer parks, etc, do in fact charge a fee.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2005, 07:26   #16

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
When my boat was small (and the trailer had bearing savers!) I used to launch at Hamble Le Rice where the parking isn't free, but there's a pontoon which you can sneak on briefly, and the car park is fairly well overlooked, so reasonably secure.

Interesting that you compare French slipways/access/parking... we did some research in 2003 and found that whilst our European neighbours have plenty of free slipways, those with good facilities and parking, trailer parks, etc, do in fact charge a fee.
Terrible slip, small car park always full

Richard please keep this little gem quiet!

Nick
Old 17 March 2005, 18:06   #17

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
Yes the slip is free. Car parking is £5 for car and trailer, all day, as long as they are attached to each other and parked in the trailer parking area.
Thanks for the info DJL,the lock office misinformed me,I may give this a go sometime as my Calshot membership is about to expire!