Old 22 February 2011, 20:29   #1

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Jersey to Avranches

I went to Avranches again on Sunday on the very high tide. I had to make a night sailing some of the way and I arrived in the bay of Mont St. Michel just before dawn. The tidal flow in the estuary of the river Sée was incredibly strong and there were large items of debris everywhere. The estuary itself had silted up considerably over the winter and the depths were less in places than they were last year. Although I was on my own this time I only ran aground once, however I nearly took my A-frame off when I misjudged my air draft going under a bridge. On the way out the next morning I encountered the largest tidal bore I've seen in the bay. It must have been three feet high and travelling at about 6kts. Unfortunately my camera had packed up by then so I couldn't get any footage of it nor any of Mont St. Michel on the way home. I stopped off there for half an hour to wash the boat; the tide was so high I could have moored up in the main street. Anyway, here's the video:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 22 February 2011, 21:37   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Sounds like another excellent adventure with a couple of hair raising moments. Did the tidal bore affect you, or were you out of the way by then? This is still on my 'to do' list, so don't get bored of going just yet
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2011, 11:25   #3

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
On the way out the next morning I encountered the largest tidal bore I've seen in the bay. It must have been three feet high and travelling at about 6kts. Unfortunately my camera had packed up by then so I couldn't get any footage of it nor any of Mont St. Michel on the way home.
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
[/quote]

Hi there

If your curious, the tidal bore is locally refered to as 'Le Mascaret'...hence the reason why you can find restaurants and bar/tabacs in Pontaubaut, Courtils and Avranches with this name. Every year Pontaubault organise a 'fete' appropriately called 'la fete du Mascaret' with it taking place this year the 20th March. If im not at work then we try to attend as its quite a nice day out, sitting on the banks of the river in the picnic area under the (new) railroad bridge watching the surge roll in....can be quite spectacular. Two years ago over 1200 people attended which is quite a lot for this area!

You should try to time one of your crossings over here to coincide with the fete, would make a good day out.

Simon
Old 23 February 2011, 11:43   #4

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Old 23 February 2011, 20:17   #5

senior moment
Old 23 February 2011, 20:39   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
You should try to time one of your crossings over here to coincide with the fete, would make a good day out.

Simon
He could bring the little family and make a day of it

[YOUTUBE]JMZISNVlKS4[/YOUTUBE]
Old 23 February 2011, 20:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Every year Pontaubault organise a 'fete' appropriately called 'la fete du Mascaret' with it taking place this year the 20th March. If im not at work then we try to attend as its quite a nice day out, sitting on the banks of the river in the picnic area under the (new) railroad bridge watching the surge roll in....can be quite spectacular. Two years ago over 1200 people attended which is quite a lot for this area!

Simon
Hi Simon,
I was in Pontaubault with the boat last autumn and there was about 500 people watching the mascaret arrive in the evening. I may well try and come down on the 20th of March; the tide will be very high indeed (coefficient 118).

Keith: the bore was big but I enountered it on a straight part of the river so I could anticipate it in advance.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> [/QUOTE]