Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 July 2007, 16:40   #1
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Dalesman
Make: Excalibur 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 1.7 diesel
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 167
Interesting visitor to Cork

This interesting vessel arrived in Cork yesterday after abandoning a round the world record attempt after killing 3 fishermen off the West Indies. Seems they cannot get Bio fuel for this "green" machine so they are running it on Diesel. Also seems they are short of readies as they are charging a fiver to go on board and even asked the local chandler to sponsor fenders. start of a european tour i'm told

jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0709web.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	28425   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0684.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	28426   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0688.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	28428  
__________________

__________________
Wise men have something to say
Fools have to say something - Cicero
Cork Rib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 17:36   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Fiscally as well as morally bankrupt then...?
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 03:53   #3
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Rib View Post
Seems they cannot get Bio fuel for this "green" machine so they are running it on Diesel. jon
Hmm, they should have had a chat with Sunrider on here. He managed it over a decade ago on green fuels

I like the scafolding plank to get on the boat

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 08:21   #4
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Rib View Post
This interesting vessel arrived in Cork yesterday after abandoning a round the world record attempt after killing 3 fishermen off the West Indies. Seems they cannot get Bio fuel for this "green" machine so they are running it on Diesel. Also seems they are short of readies as they are charging a fiver to go on board and even asked the local chandler to sponsor fenders. start of a european tour i'm told

jon
I hate to disagree with you but ....................... They carried on after the fishing boat incident, and only quit after the boat suffered damage somewhere near Gibraltar, they had used regular diesel in a couple of places because of availability (or bad planning!).
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 11:26   #5
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Dalesman
Make: Excalibur 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 1.7 diesel
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I hate to disagree with you but ....................... They carried on after the fishing boat incident, and only quit after the boat suffered damage somewhere near Gibraltar, they had used regular diesel in a couple of places because of availability (or bad planning!).
I can only repeat what they told us......but thats how stories go

Jon
__________________
Wise men have something to say
Fools have to say something - Cicero
Cork Rib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 13:36   #6
JIY
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 174
You can read the full story here:


http://www.earthrace.net/index.php?a...m456b8bd73bbc2
__________________
JIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 18:36   #7
Member
 
The Grocer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 296
But really...

...can you take any vessel seriously if it's based on a plasticine character?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gromit7s.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	28442  
__________________
Russell
The Grocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 19:20   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grocer View Post
...can you take any vessel seriously if it's based on a plasticine character?

..
__________________
.
IBWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2007, 07:02   #9
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Rib View Post
I can only repeat what they told us......but thats how stories go

Jon
The person you spoke to obviously never read thier own press release or knew what was going on!

http://www.earthrace.net/index.php?a...m456b8bd73bbc2
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.