Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIB gallery
Click Here to Login

Old 03 March 2002, 20:01   #1

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I went ribbing this weekend too!

Absolutely stunning day on the East Coast. Launched at Levington Nr Felixstowe and ran up to Orford for lunch at the Jolly Sailors. This is the life........

Yellowtang at Orford quay:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orford.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	322  
Old 04 March 2002, 14:42   #2

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Hi Alan

Nice looking RIB - hope to be able to meet up with you on the Thames next weekend.

Graeme
Old 10 March 2002, 18:31   #3

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
I'm based on the Orwell.How did was the entrance to the river at Shingle Street-it can be tricky at times
Old 12 March 2002, 16:40   #4

Bloody nervewracking!

Hi Phil,

Entrance to the Ore was very tricky as I didn't have the latest chartlet and they have taken away the buoys! We headed straight in from the Orford Haven buoy at near enough high tide with eyes firmly glued to the fishfinder!

Had it not been a very calm day I think I wouldn't have attempted it & I will be obtaining a copy of the latest chartlet before I try it again.

Whereabouts on the Orwell are you based? We launched from Suffolk Yacht Harbour.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 13 March 2002, 15:19   #5

Alan, I've just taken a berth at Woolverstone although I tried Suffolk Yacht Harbour but there was a waiting list of 2 years; in a way Suffolk YH is still "home" because with my previous boat and this one I always launched there on the basis that the slip is better and much cheaper than Woolverstone.

Woolverstone as you probably know is in a pleasant location but further up river and more exposed than SYH.

The boats been in a week and I'm hoping for a short run at the w/e even if only a cruise by Felixstowe.

I found both the Ore /Alde and the Deben to be tricky and to be avoided in any sort of weather when there are breaking seas and a "boiling pot" of surrounding water which can put you off following the buoyage.

As with all mine the boat is called Slipstream and I'll keep an eye out for you on the East Coast this season
Old 13 March 2002, 15:34   #6

The Deben...........

Hi Phil,

Deben entrance is usually pretty straightforward although if I recall correctly there were no leading marks apparent last year. Straight in and keep over to starboard of the channel as you get to the dirty great port hand marker usual does the trick! I'd agree that neither of the entrances is much fun in a blow although you are a hell of a lot safer in a RIB than trying it in a yacht or powercruiser imho!

You might be interested in a cruising weekend we (BIBOA) are running over the bank holiday weekend 4/5/6th May. Basically 3 days of cruising from SYH hopefully encompassing Southwold, Brightlingsea and the Deben/Walton Backwaters. If you'd be interested then drop me a line for details. cruising@biboa.co.uk

Cheers,
Alan
Old 13 March 2002, 21:04   #7

Unfortunately I'm in France that w/e with M.Mouse etc. I saw the BIBOA East Coast cruise team about 2 years ago when I was launching at Levington-very impressive.
Old 13 March 2002, 21:32   #8

Ahhhhh.........

I do recall a family launching a RIBTEC freeway (or whatever its called) a couple of years ago as we were setting off. Presume that was you!

We should try and hook up for some cruising at some point. The run up to Southwold is always a favourite of mine .... something to do with the Adnams at the Harbour Inn no doubt!

Cheers,
Alan