Old 08 September 2003, 14:02   #1

Town: Greenock
Make: Flatacraft Force 4
Length: 4.3m
Engine: 50hp Mercury
Humber Assault Rib Pics?

Im considering buying a new Humber Assault RIB.

I've been sent the price list and it all looks very good, although there arent any pics of most of the extras that are available.

Does anyone have any pics of there Humber Assault RIB that they could post up or email me?

Im just trying to get an idea of what the different options are like before I make my final choices.

Cheers.....
Old 22 April 2004, 10:00   #2

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Humber Assault

This may be a little bit too late but my diving club picked up our Humber Assault 5.5m with a Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke engine back in January.
If you click on the link below it will take you to some pictures taken while on the river Thames during the RYA powerboat-handling course.

http://community.webshots.com/album/113420915eTIcYF

This is a nice little boat but we have had a few niggling problems.
Completion was due to be mid December but this date slipped and it wasn’t ready until mid January.
On arrival at Humber to pick up the boat they had forgot we were coming & the boat wasn’t completely ready, this was after phoning them twice the week before to confirm the date & time of pick up.
They didn’t have a high viz bag/cover for the engine, so we had to tow it home 250miles without one (technically breaking the law)
On picking up the boat they said the throttle & gear change is a little stiff but it will loosen up with a little use. Yes it did on the second time in the water when the gear cable snapped leaving us having to be rescued on the Thames by a local Yacht club. In 37 years of our clubs existence using inflatables this is the first time we have had to be rescued.
On informing Humber of the problem they gave us 2 choices
1. We take the boat back to them & leave it with them while they fix the problem, Then go back when it has been done. This would involve 1000 miles of driving or the other choice.
2. Was to take the broken cable out and send it back to them & they would send a new one back to us, this was the choice we decided to go for, unfortunately it took 6 weeks before we got the new cable.

Even after re-routing the control cables to try and ease the operation of the throttle & gear change it was still heavy, even with the friction adjuster fully released. So much so that we have just had part of the throttle remote break, we have now taken the cables out of the binding that Humber fitted & just left them laying on the floor, this looks as if this may be a lot better but we will know next time it goes out on the water after fixing the remote.

This has been used 6 times now for diving with 6 divers & a boat man & it seems to cope well travelling at 22knts to dive sites, but if we add another person it won’t get up on the plain & the engine will only rev to 3000rpm so I think it may need a smaller prop.

Would I change anything about it ?
Yes!
1. I would have liked the centre console to be further forward, allowing more space for the divers to kit up.
2. I think Humber could do something better about their routing of the cables.

I hope this will be of help to you.
Old 22 April 2004, 11:06   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Seems to me some of the pictures of the boat on trailer been taken at Humber factory in Hull ???
Old 22 April 2004, 11:31   #4

Ah the factory is that what it was called, it was more like a couple of sheds. I must admit I was a little disappointed when I saw their place.
Old 22 April 2004, 11:36   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
I fully agree, when I visited them ages ago it was even worse than your pictures shows, it seems improved although not up to the standards you would expect from mass producer. I have been to factories in France and US including factories over here and you will not see this kind of facilities.
_________
Bogi
Old 22 April 2004, 12:49   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwabbit
Even after re-routing the control cables to try and ease the operation of the throttle & gear change it was still heavy, even with the friction adjuster fully released. So much so that we have just had part of the throttle remote break, we have now taken the cables out of the binding that Humber fitted & just left them laying on the floor, this looks as if this may be a lot better but we will know next time it goes out on the water after fixing the remote.
Jackwabbit, whilst not being a great supporter of Humber's after sales service, it does appear that you have a control system problem rather that a Humber rib problem.

And, you've just broken part of the remote by forcing it. That's a smooth, well controlled throttle hand you have there.

------
Ooops, I can see me credibility going down already.
Old 22 April 2004, 13:25   #7

Err its wasn’t me honest govner!
It was someone else using it for the first time; they couldn’t get it into neutral so they were banging it with their fist and snapped the neutral lock.
The problem seems to be in the way Humber have routed the cables from the console to the engine, they had everything bound up together with at least 5 sharp bends. Which could have been taken out by moving the console forward about 1 foot or by having slightly shorter cables.
The remote operates very easily with out the cables connected & the engine linkage operates easily without the cables. So we pulled the cables out of the binding & reconnected them and everything seems a lot easier.
I was just annoyed at the way Humber tried to fob us off by saying they were a bit tight but would loosen up with use. Baring in mind how many boats they have built this is not something I would have expected.
Old 22 April 2004, 13:36   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwabbit
Baring in mind how many boats they have built this is not something I would have expected.
Yep, I know what you mean.
Old 23 April 2004, 18:41   #9

Length: no boat
Hello Gadge!

I received my H Assault 5.0m last January. The engine is now installed but remotes etc not. I'll do the rest of the job by myself.
When I took the boat for the ob installation I was told that the remote cables should be free (no ties) some 3ft at both ends and no sharp bends. Boat looks ok and I'm happy with the quality, but it doesn't sound too good that remotes are installed at the Humber's the way described in Jackwabbits post.

You can see my boat in the gallery "Humber out from the winter storage". If you would like to have more detailed photos i'd be happy to send them to you or to forum.

Jari
Old 23 April 2004, 20:23   #10

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
jack

i can see from the pics you are very local to me can i ask which slip you use as i would very much like to use the river as i am in abbeywood and the river
is so close all the slips i have found are locked

daniel
Old 24 April 2004, 06:58   #11

We were doing the RYA powerboat course with Erith Yacht club, & they were happy to let us use our own RIB rather than wreck theirs.
Old 24 April 2004, 15:38   #12

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
I've always had the impression the Humber were a real solid working RIB. I must admit that their factory seems to resemble Steptoe's Junk Yard.

Keith (a credible reply) Hart
Old 24 April 2004, 19:40   #13

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadge
Im considering buying a new Humber Assault RIB.
....and where are the photos then
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2004, 05:03   #14

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
....and where are the photos then
First page of the thread, follow the link.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote