RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Does anyone over "there" user a trailer tongue extension? Mine is around 15ft to keep the surge far away from my aluminum wheels.
They are not common but I've seen three approaches used:

(1) A scaffolding bar with a tow ball on one end and a trailer coupling on the other. I think this requires the jockey wheel down to keep the trailer nose up. It also isn't a "stiff" link at the trailer so is not good for steering when launching - but is probably better than a rope for recovery. It may be better than option 2 in tight turns.

(2) An 'extendable' tongue on the trailer. Essentially a long box section which can slide along the trailer's "spine" and be locked in place to give a second hitch. It is fixed so can steer / push etc for launching too. It also doesn't need the jockey wheel down, but a very long tongue on a low tow vehicle can ground out if there are big variations in slope.

(3) A bit like 1 but with a pair of small (8"?) wheels on the trailer end of the bar so that jockey wheel on trailer is not required. IIRC it was used with a special tow vehicle that had a second hitch offset from the first one and a linking bar that fixed that so the hitch at the vehicle end would not rotate. Both the vehicle and the 'dolly' live in one place so don't need to be transportable or road legal. They use it with front mounted tow balls - which I think would be my preference for a "perfect" set up as the vehicle driver has better visibility of the tow.
Old 27 October 2013, 11:56   #22

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
BOAT TRAILER 3 SECTION LAUNCH AND RETRIEVAL BAR | eBay
Old 27 October 2013, 13:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
(3) A bit like 1 but with a pair of small (8"?) wheels on the trailer end of the bar so that jockey wheel on trailer is not required. IIRC it was used with a special tow vehicle that had a second hitch offset from the first one and a linking bar that fixed that so the hitch at the vehicle end would not rotate. Both the vehicle and the 'dolly' live in one place so don't need to be transportable or road legal. They use it with front mounted tow balls - which I think would be my preference for a "perfect" set up as the vehicle driver has better visibility of the tow.
My WAFI club has one of these but doesn't use the offset bit. They do have an offset thingy but its for attaching a scraper to move sand from the slip (or snow from the car park!)

You learn pretty fast how to drive with two bits that bend. We push down the slip with the trailer on the front hitch and then with the rib at the water edge apply its breaks (or a brick if unbraked). Reverse 'jeep' up 10ft and stick the draw bar in the gap and then remove brake and push it in...

Recovery is reverse procedure.
Old 27 October 2013, 17:34   #24

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
This is an extension that I made for my rig, in action, which works very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020691.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	86704

However there are a lot of "issues" with using extensions on larger boat/trailers - any longer and mine would have major problems with bending moments and bottoming out.
Old 27 October 2013, 18:41   #25
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Alternatively you can drive the boat on to a soft beach and recover by reversing the trailer to the front of the rib then carefully winch it back on to the trailer.......or if its not your boat, then do this........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lifeboat.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	86709  
Old 27 October 2013, 19:01   #26
Administrator

Town: Brighton
When I was on holiday in Portugal a few years ago the local fishermen all recovered their boats like that!
Old 27 October 2013, 19:25   #27

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Alternatively you can drive the boat on to a soft beach and recover by reversing the trailer to the front of the rib then carefully winch it back on to the trailer.......or if its not your boat, then do this........
Effing hell! And I thought I liked shallow water!!
Old 27 October 2013, 19:36   #28

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Effing hell! And I thought I liked shallow water!!
Less of your cursing or your rabbi will be washing your mouth out with soap and water.
Old 27 October 2013, 23:28   #29
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
That's not quite how it reads from the thread title though. Maybe you would have had a more positive reaction if it wasn't posted as a "how to" video!
Fair point, however having considered my wording I can't see where I was actively encouraging others to actually use this method themselves, which is why I made that comment, personaly I don't think "How to" neccessarly means "the only way to do it", Its just one example of how it can be done.

I am suprised at the responce actually, usually the vids I post on here of more pleasant conditions are completely ignored by most.
Old 08 November 2013, 11:46   #30
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
This is an extension that I made for my rig, in action, which works very well.

Attachment 86704

However there are a lot of "issues" with using extensions on larger boat/trailers - any longer and mine would have major problems with bending moments and bottoming out.
This method does look best for my needs, A good solid extendable drawbar, or something which could run parallel with a 4inch offset from the main drawbar with suitable bracing, only suitable for steady beach use of course, but wouldn't effect the trailer brake mechanism as it would fold or slide back for road use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
These lads got the hang of it too

Old 08 November 2013, 16:16   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
well maybe he should google 'salt water corrosion' it doesnt matter how many lives he may have saved, his car will still rot - and fast. if the vehicle were to break down whilst the tide was rising then theres a good chance of losing it. if he wants to do it then fine, but dont go encouraging others to follow his lead. length of rope is the way to do it
Jaysus man! the bloke only posted a video of something that was boat related & of interest to some, it wasn't a "This is how you must do it" instructional guide. Anybody who's numb enough to think that that's the only way to do it shouldn't be allowed out in the first place. What next, a warning before each video "Don't try this at home children, please get a responsible adult to help with the scissors" "Do not use microwaves for drying pets"....hang on, that ones been done
Give the bloke a break, carry on DHF
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 19:30   #32
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Jaysus man! the bloke only posted a video of something that was boat related & of interest to some, it wasn't a "This is how you must do it" instructional guide. Anybody who's numb enough to think that that's the only way to do it shouldn't be allowed out in the first place. What next, a warning before each video "Don't try this at home children, please get a responsible adult to help with the scissors" "Do not use microwaves for drying pets"....hang on, that ones been done
Give the bloke a break, carry on DHF
Well thank you Sir, carry on I shall, I found this well dodgy vid earlier, showing how not to recover a jetski, proper nutters.

Old 08 November 2013, 23:36   #33

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Despite all the hoopla about dumb youtube videos...

I did find a relatively local drawbar extension manufacturer. I'd never thought much about this before and I'm going to see about having one made up!
Old 14 November 2013, 11:30   #34
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Despite all the hoopla about dumb youtube videos...

I did find a relatively local drawbar extension manufacturer. I'd never thought much about this before and I'm going to see about having one made up!
Looking forward to the result Captnjack, I'm in production of similar myself.

For now here's another example of "how not to"!!!

Carry on recovery

Tags
rib