Old 06 August 2005, 07:04   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Get FREE RIB Trips!

I've just received these pictures from my pal who is a captain in the TA. They are out in Gibraltar. You can see from the crew's faces thay they are enjoying themselves...

Keith (confession...I was out in a 'hard' boat yesterday) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib-rn-2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	13639   Click image for larger version

Name:	rn-rib.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	13640  
Old 06 August 2005, 07:36   #2

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hart
You can see from the crew's faces thay they are enjoying themselves...
I bet the smile is wiped off their faces when the call up notice to go to a war zone is delivered. Why anyone joins the TA or it's equivalent is beyond me. If you want to play soldiers then join the army. The poor bastards in the american reserves are being killed in Iraq, I bet they dont smile anymore.

(Rant mode off)
Old 06 August 2005, 07:49   #3

My pal was a Captain in the regular army and served in the previous Gulf war. When he left the regulars (to become a SOCO) he joined the TA and served in the last (current!) Gulf war.

Keith (ex-RAF) Hart
Old 06 August 2005, 09:40   #4

Quote:
My pal was a Captain in the regular army and served in the previous Gulf war. When he left the regulars (to become a SOCO) he joined the TA and served in the last (current!) Gulf war.

Keith (ex-RAF) Hart

My mates brother in law is a computer engineer in the USA. He is in the reserves and has been in Iraq for two long tours. His best friend went home in several plastic bags after a bomb. I still say the smile will be gone if they get called up
Old 06 August 2005, 11:02   #5

Oh dear! The title was tongue in cheek. The idea was just to show you all some photos of army ribs in action, not to start a debale about the Gulf War...

Keith Hart
Old 06 August 2005, 11:17   #6

Quote:
The idea was just to show you all some photos of army ribs in action, not to start a debale about the Gulf War...

Keith Hart
It's ok Keith. Its not about the Gulf war. My point is why would anyone leave themselves open to being called up ? I bet that when guys join the TA or similar they never think why the govt are giving them money to train etc... No such thing as a free lunch etc.
Old 06 August 2005, 17:46   #7

Town: Godforesaken
Boat name: Not of your business
Make: Noah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
It's ok Keith. Its not about the Gulf war. My point is why would anyone leave themselves open to being called up ? I bet that when guys join the TA or similar they never think why the govt are giving them money to train etc... No such thing as a free lunch etc.
Just because you don't wish to be called up to serve, doesn't mean everyone feels the same way....
Old 16 August 2005, 12:41   #8

Town: Reading, Berks
Boat name: TBC
Make: Coastline Ribs
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard Merc 1.7TDI
Send a message via MSN to Ryan Pridmore
Quote:
So what do they think they are signing up for then???? I dont think People sign up for the TA for a free lunch. Good job our country is not protected by people like you..!
Old 16 August 2005, 13:10   #9

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Quote:
Sorry mate, I'm with the rest of them. I've done my bit for Queen and Country and wouldn't hesitate in an instance to do it again should the need arise.

However I'm a little long in the tooth and fat of the waist to be b*ggering about on exercises these days!
Old 16 August 2005, 15:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettal
Sorry mate, I'm with the rest of them. I've done my bit for Queen and Country and wouldn't hesitate in an instance to do it again should the need arise.

Well Mr Angry and Ryan I still dont think I'm in the minority here but as we all live in democratic countries we have choice. We have the equivalent of the TA here in Ireland and most people that join never expect any action. They join for the free uniform (wannabee soldiers) and the free ride in a tank
Old 16 August 2005, 20:51   #11

Quote:
Oh dear! The title was tongue in cheek. The idea was just to show you all some photos of army ribs in action, not to start a debale about the Gulf War...
I'm sorry that this thread has ended up this way. My idea was just to show a RIB in action.

My friend, who is in the TA, as I said before served as a regular captain in the previous Gulf war and as a TA captain this time. He is a first class chap and has spent his working life serving his country, which he also does in his full time occupation as a SOCO. I am glad that I did not ask him to look at this thread.

He has put HIS life on the line on many occasions so that WE can all be free to express our own opinions.

Please...look at the RIB and forget the politics.

Keith Hart