Old 10 June 2018, 07:07   #1

Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Gemini Waverider 550

Nearly mid-winter and still out about...

edit...not sure photo is working ...
Old 10 June 2018, 08:14   #2

Got the photo working; Man O'War Bay, Waiheke Island looking towards Pakatoa Island, Rotoroa Island and the Coromandel Penninsula. Nice cellar door for the Man O'War vineyard right on the beach. About 45mins from where we launch.

Had a couple of trips out recently, including an early morning fishing trip. Frost on the boat as I filled the petrol and 2 degrees when launching but up to 17 degrees and above during the day.

Old 29 October 2018, 22:50   #3

Boat name: PUMPED
Make: Gemini WR550
Engine: 80HP
HI Richard,

I just purchased my first RIB, also a WR550. I got it second hand, is the fuel tank 120L?

Cheers
Old 29 October 2018, 23:13   #4

I ended up measuring the dimensions and doing some maths as Gemini said they were manufactured and fitted here in NZ and did not have details of them. Mine is 100litres...but worth checking yours assuming you can lift the floor to measure it? Not sure whether the supplier (Family Boats) has records of what they fitted?

Hope this helps.
Old 29 October 2018, 23:41   #5

Thanks, I emailed Gemini and got a similar reply although they suggested 120-130L. Think I will let it go to half on the gauge then fill, will give me some idea.

I see you have what looks like a long fibreglass vhf aerial attached to the side of the centre console. I have a short 500mm flexible one fitted same place when they fitted new vhf but the reception is poor. I may ask them to fit another on the other side or go for a longer one
Old 30 October 2018, 00:22   #6

My gauge doesn't work so I fill regularly. With the shPe of the tank I'm not convinced that a generic gauge will be too accurate...the second half will be far smaller than the first. However my plan is to sort the gauge before Christmas as it niggles me that it doesn't work!
Old 30 October 2018, 00:23   #7

Sorry, I meant to say that my radio reception isn't too clear even with the longer aerial, but it may help compared to a smaller one?
Old 30 October 2018, 00:45   #8

Cheers
Old 31 January 2019, 21:29   #9

Hi,

FYI Ive taken my boat in to have the VHF sorted, they were going to replace the unit as after testing a longer aerial, the reception was still terrible (I was using a handheld instead).

The installer tested the reception just prior to pulling the old unit out and has now mentioned the reception issues are due to the aerial being placed in a position where it is surrounded by many s/s uprights for the canopy causing interference. They are relocating the aerial on top of the canopy instead. Pick up today, hopefully this sorts the issue.

Re the fuel capacity, still haven't fully figured this out but based on usage and distance travelled Im assuming 100l. Thinking of upgrading to digital guage to get all the data from 4 stroke engine.

PS Im assuming your tank fill cap is also under the console, under a cap in a not so easy to reach position? The company doing the radio is quoting to move fill cap to the side of the console which will make life a lot easier.
Old 17 February 2019, 04:26   #10

How is the VHF? Hope you have been out more times to test it than we have managed this summer (two weeks touring the South Island didn't help).

Our fuel filler is under the floorboard in front of the console, so fortunately very easily accessible.

Just after Christmas I spent a couple of days working on ours, including new 35mm2 battery leads to replace the originals which consisted of two joined sets of Johnson leads. The join was in the bilges so very corroded and wet with a huge voltage drop. Motors now spins significantly faster on the starter.

I also fitted a new water pump on the outboard, new fuel filter with a glass bowl/drain and new instruments (including GPS speedo).
Old 21 February 2019, 01:16   #11

VHF is working a treat - great reception. My engine is due for its 100hr service, water pump is OK i think, reasonable stream of water coming out.

Our fuel caps may be in the same place the the front hatch of the console, under a scew cap to access tank under floor? I find this awkward as nearly always spill fuel when tipping nozzle over and need to move crap out the way.
Old 03 July 2019, 01:08   #12

Town: Whakatane
Boat name: Jojosrib
Make: Brig
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrp550 View Post
VHF is working a treat - great reception. My engine is due for its 100hr service, water pump is OK i think, reasonable stream of water coming out.

Our fuel caps may be in the same place the the front hatch of the console, under a scew cap to access tank under floor? I find this awkward as nearly always spill fuel when tipping nozzle over and need to move crap out the way.
Nice to see a couple of NZers out there having fun. If you’re ever down Whakatane way and fancy a trip to White Island look me up..

Gazza
Old 03 July 2019, 01:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojosrib View Post
Nice to see a couple of NZers out there having fun. If you’re ever down Whakatane way and fancy a trip to White Island look me up..

Gazza
Old 09 July 2019, 11:10   #14

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I'm looking at changing to a Gemini from a 550 pro. My main reason is that I can get a Gemini already in comercial survey, the second reason is that the one I have my sights on has twin f70 Yamahas. Last week I did a day trip of 230km where I was over 100km from port chassing bluefin, hence wanting twins.

I'm finding it hard to find any performance reviews on using twins. I also have the option of a 505 in survey with a 140df Suzuki which I imagine would fly. What performance do you get with the 90, both max and cruise.