Old 10 July 2003, 23:16   #21

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
2 anchors 40 mtrs chain,

Manos,

Do you have a kedge now as well. Why would you want 40 metres of chain on a RIB, unless of course, you've been talking to Brian Elliott.............

I can hear something mooooiiiiiing....
Old 10 July 2003, 23:26   #22

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
Quote:
Originally posted by dgpw
depends what you tow it with. I tow with a medium sized car and trust me I kneed a braked trailer for my 585. a landrover however can tow over 2 tons unbraked depends on the car!
The current Regs limit to750kg without brakes, i have a defender 110 TD5 and that will tow 3.5tons with brakes but still only 750kg without.
Old 11 July 2003, 07:40   #23

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Whiteshoes I have a 30 mtrs chain with 40 mtrs rope and a 6kgs anchor (as main) and 10 mtrs of chain with 20 mtrs rope and 4kgs anchor as spare.
Also various ropes starting from 5 mtrs long to 40 mtrs long for mooring or emergencies.
I just like to stock up on these things LOLOL
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2003, 08:13   #24
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
I believe that the Falcon 650SR and the 700RSR can go on an unbraked trailer and towed with no husle what so ever. In my opinion there is no need for a braked trailer where you can have may things going wrong with it on the brakes etc.
I don't see how a fully equipped 7 metre RIB on a trailer can have an all up weight of less than 750Kg. I reckon that even with a 6.5 metre RIB it would be borderline at best.

I would hate for anyone to get into trouble by following bad advice posted on RIBnet. Just because Manos thinks it's OK, doesn't make it safe or legal.

Current UK legislation allows unbraked trailers to be used with a maximum gross trailer weight of 750kg or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight, whichever is less.

The National Trailer & Towing Association has a very useful web site at www.ntta.co.uk with clear guidance about all aspects of towing.

John
Old 11 July 2003, 08:26   #25

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
whatever makes you happy guys. Use a HAM-V or a TANK as well
Old 11 July 2003, 08:40   #26

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Couldn't agree more - our race boat with no extra stuff in it - even the anchor is one from a jet ski made from aluminium! with no fuel weighs in at 875kg. A merc XR2 is very light for a 200hp, and that doesn't even include the trailer. Having seen the pictures of the layup of a falcon I suspect that neither boat is capable of breaking the 750kg limit rigged ready to go before putting it on the trailer.

Any case of bad "Greek" advice I suppose Still touting as a Marine Consultant Manos?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2003, 08:48   #27

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
My 6.5m RIB had an all up weight of 1350kg, the 7.5m had all up weight of 2500kg. All official and from a weighbridge.

If you exceed towing limit significantly you are a danger to yourself and others. If you are going to do it in Greece then thats fine cos your far away from me and mine.

The Manos school of cattle excretia strikes again
Old 11 July 2003, 08:57   #28

Children go and play with the toy that God gave you to occupy your selves when you don't have anything better to do.

Until you find out how the sea looks like and what colour it has leave the boating staff for the boating people
Old 11 July 2003, 09:13   #29

That's good coming from someone that hasn't learnt how to tell the truth yet! (Publishing pictures of other peoples boats for example)

By the way I do build and race RIBs, and I know that lot's of people have seen the boats to prove it. So if I'm not a boating person who the hell is?

By the way if anyone comes to South Devon you're welcome to pop in to the workshop, although we might be out testing!

Old 11 July 2003, 21:16   #30

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Cookee
if anyone comes to South Devon you're welcome to pop in to the workshop
Cookee, I might have the audacity to take you up on that offer next time I'm down in the South Hams, if you don't mind?
Old 11 July 2003, 22:22   #31

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Yeah great idea Manos, let's all go and have a fiddle with ourselves instead of making sure we've got our boats safe and legal for towing.

Might end up considerably poorer due to a hefty fine, may even end up wiping out a considerable number of vehicles in an accident on the motorway, but we'll sure as hell feel all the better for having a quick play won't we.
Old 12 July 2003, 07:50   #32

Richard - Any time you like. PM me when you fancy a gander and I'll let you have my number,

Old 14 July 2003, 13:38   #33

Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
When I bought my 5.5 Extreme from Humber, I asked for an unbraked trailer on the basis that all I wantwed it for was as a launching trolley, and that the towing vehicle weighed in at over 2.25 tonnes.

They did a load of calculating, accounted for everything from the full tank to anchors, warps, chains, me, the family, my 3.3hp 2stroke auxiliary etc and REFUSED!! I ended up with a very good Bramber trailer with brakes, rated at 950Kg.

It WOULD have been safe without brakes, and a lot less hassle with washing off, but Humber did act very responsibly.