Old 02 June 2010, 03:56   #31

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
When is the next run? There will be 3 Vipermax out on the Roads for the est of the week.

Old 02 June 2010, 05:16   #32

Town: penryn
Boat name: purple haze
Make: vector
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard cosworth 300
pos at the weekend pm your tel no and I will call next run out

Old 02 June 2010, 05:21   #33

strainer

thanks for link on strainer but looks a bit fancy/expensive for my boat/wallet cobination still doing my scrap yard challange bit so i have fitted a 1" y type brass filter assembly from armada hydraulics 17.00 ,thanks for your interest and support Gary.
Old 10 June 2010, 13:54   #34

Steering bushes

Had the centre section from the drive leg of to marine shop for rebushing and ended up with a broken casing .Have now managed to find another casing so just hoping the rebushing goes better this time. just as you think your making progress it goes tits up
Old 15 July 2010, 13:38   #35

Ready for more

Got the mid section back with new bearings bushes and steering tube,refitted with new seals etc,removed stat and patterned up some parts for external steering ram setup (waiting for parts to come back from machine shop)

Will run with the inboard steering setup for the minute,all the play has gone from the steering and the persistant oil leak i had on the leg seems to be ok.

Hopefully the weather might clear for fri eve (its pi##ing down right now) and the tides good for a evening test.

I going to run upto the 55mph again and see how it all feels then do some longer runs 10,20 then 30 mins at this and keep an eye on things before i add any more boost.

wish me luck Gary
Old 16 July 2010, 04:10   #36

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Brilliant - when it's running as you want it I'll come down and take some piccies and do a story for Sportsboat and RIB if you like?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 04:21   #37

photos

thanks John.
Old 26 July 2010, 15:17   #38

Low,s and High,s

Have had a suspicion that the previous raw water cooling problems might have caused a problem with the engine as it started blowing a bit of coolant out the header tank when boosting over 12psi, so friday carried out a pressure test on the cooling system and discovered the cap was venting out coolant at 10psi and not 20 due to slight pitting on cap seating, so lapped the seat nice and smooth and rechecked and it was now holding 20psi, I left the pressure gauge on the cooling system so we could keep an eye on things when out on the water.
launched that eve about 7.30 and ran 3-4 miles before winding in some boost and the pressure started climing right upto 20psi and then vented so had to slow down and let things settle a little ,feeling rahther pi##ed off i ignore the advise of my co-pilot and thrashed the s##t out of it back to falmouth with water blasting out the overflow and launching off the pilot boat,s wake at about 40kn,s .
got back ok and felt a little better

got the boat back to the workshop and set about stripping the motor,saturday evening fitted new gasket and got it all back together,I was starting to doubt weather it was really going to fullfil my aspiration,s, so set a plan for sunday afternoon testing.

The plan was to push the engine further than ever before and to hell with the consequence .so sunday afternoon left falmouth after some pre-checks down to the pandorra inn, cooling system pressure at 10psi engine 80c ,all looks good quick pint and rechecked the levels all ok. Left the pan got her up onto the plane and wound the boost upto 1 bar and nailed it and held it there for 10 minutes without any problems we ran at 53kn on gps and no problems egt 875 coolant 90 rpm 6000 ,stopped for a couple of minutes to catch our breath and nailed it some more,and more.

took her back and and everthing looks good I have had a good check over and dropped the drive oil and lower g/box cover and I,ve still even got a full set of teeth, there is still another 8psi of boost in the engine setup and 75-100c of egt in the bank to get to 7000rpm but not sure about pushing much harder intill later in the season as it might be nice to actually get some time on the water for some fun

I am really relived to find that,s its not a complete dud after all the work i have put in its never going to be a really reliable boat but not many fast boats are but its starting to tick all the right boxes for me .:
Old 26 July 2010, 15:22   #39

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
If you're now in the 50's, you'll be leaving me in your wake.
Old 26 July 2010, 15:24   #40

I should be out later this week if your up fo it