Old 23 March 2012, 11:12   #11
Town: Wincanton,Somerset,UK
Inner tubes and new tubes

Perfectly feasible to put inner tubes inside the leaking chambers. We do what we call an emergency bladder which is made in one size to suit most sizes of air chambers. It is made from a welded PU film, which is very flexible and when inserted in the chamber and inflated, will expand and fill all the voids. The bladder has a C7 valve and will last for a reasonable period of time, certainly give you a few years of use. Just have to cut a small hole in the tube , insert the bladder, with the valve accesible, glue a patch around the hole, which does not have to be air tight of course and inflate the bladder. Works well for both straight air chambers as well as the bow chamber.

Available to order here Emergency bladder - Henshaw Inflatables Ltd

Alternatively of course you could have a new tube made. Likely cost would be in the region of 2,800.00 excluding freight. That price would be for the basic tube in 1300gsm(1100Dtex) Hypalon coated fabric with a fitting kit including strake, handles, fitting fabric and lifeline patches and line. The only drawback is that you would have to ship either the Port or Starboard sides of the old tubes back to copy. The price of Aus $14,000 seems to be ridiculous in the extreme. Time to open an Australin branch I think!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bladders 001.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	66449   Click image for larger version

Name:	bladders 005.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	66450  

Chris Hornidge
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2012, 11:48   #12
RIBnet admin team
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
I've just walked past a big bit of plastic gas pipe... it reminded me somewhat of 'flugga boats' (8m Fluggaboat) and I wondered if you could find a way of capping the ends and using something like that?
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2012, 14:52   #13
Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Josh, I am in Sydney and Dockitjet in Queensland sold me a set of brand new Hypalon tunes for my 5.6m Dockitjet for $3000 from memory. Not sure if Steve can make you what you need but may be worth a try. They are quite well made. Google Dockitjet in Queensland.

Having said that, my bigger boat has Henshaws tubes and the quality is significantly better. I would love Henshaws to open a branch in Sydney.

I really like the Henshaws emergency tubes. Looks like they will get you out of trouble and keep some sort of resale on the boat for not a lot of money.

Having imported boat bits many times, keep each individual package under $1000 if possible. That is freight and item. Not only will you pay no gst or customs duty, you will also avoid the parasitic customs brokers. I just paid $1500 customs brokers fees and taxes on a $1500 gearbox that I had already paid $1500 to get it shipped from the US. And it was in the customs brokers hands for almost 3 months. Don't get me started.

As for freight companies, DHL and UPS are ones to avoid as they add gst and taxes and other fees sometimes on items under $1000 and will not give you your item until you pay. They then threaten you with storage fees if you question them and give you some baloney about how you can get a refund from the government if they are wrong. Sorry, rant over.
kubcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2012, 10:32   #14
Town: Perth
Length: 4m +
Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions. I've decided to stick to my original budget and not further extend myself, so I've advertised it locally for basically what the engine and trailer are worth. Hopefully someone has a slightly bigger budget and will simply stick some new tubes on it and this beautiful boat won't go to waste.
JoshJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2012, 15:05   #15
Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
3 Henshaws emergency tubes and freight will be around AU$250. If you are neat with the slice and hole for the valve, it probably would not be very obvious. Cheaper than foam filling or perhaps even pool noodles and the shape will probably look a lot better which were some of your original suggestions.

But I see your point, to get it right it needs a retube and a fair sized budget and selling it may be the way to go.
kubcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2012, 10:16   #16
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
like the bladder
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2012, 18:46   #17
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Hmm. Tube inserts ... quite a familiar concept though not one I want to see again any time soon

Exploding Orange - part 2

A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote