Old 31 December 2006, 04:03   #1

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
A Yanks' searider project

I am a proud owner of an 1992 ex coastguard searider 5.4. I have read numerous threads on this sight and want to thank everyone who took the time to give there input. I will try to show as many pics as I can because I found this invaluable to me in the past. I bought the boat last february after a long time looking for a boat like this one. I originally was going to buy the boat and trailer without power but the way things worked out I ended up with the 2005 mercury 2 stroke 90hp motor. The previous owner had bought it new and used it very spearingly. It has no more than 25 hours on it. Spotless. It is the newest motor I will probally own in my lifetime. When I bought the boat the seller turned me onto this websight. He informed me that he bought it off someone that posts here. It was owned previously by Brian peterson who I believe posts here as sunrider. Brian has informed me he had bought 2 of these boats at an aution in texas ans fate has it I now own it. I have huge dreams of how I want this boat and any help will be greatly appreciated.
The last owner had just bought the hull and outfitted it right out of a west marine catalog. It had a Todd cooler seat and a Todd center console. I will try to post pics of what the bopat looked like when I got it. He had pressure treated 2x6s across the floor to make it even and give him something to mount everything to. I stripped all the wood out down to the bare hull. It must have been 150lbs of weight in there. From the begining I have wanted to be able to strip the boat bare with minimum effort. After haveing to replace a floor in a boat before I decided I wanted to do everthing I could to prevent this. didnt want to put any more screws into the floor as possible. I have rigged something up that allowes me to use the original bolts set into the avon floor. I will try to show this in the pics. I bought a new console from Carolina Skiffs. I have mounted this on 2 pressure treated 2x6 that I fit to the contour of the boat floor. This allowed me to use 2 u channel bars that I bolt to the existing colts coming up from the floor. The 2x6s are slightly higher than the raised part of the sloor in this boat so as I tighten the boltsit holds the 2x6s tightly. The console is srewed into the 2x6 with screws and large washers with some liquid nail adhesive. To remove the entire console it requires me to only unbolt 4 nuts. I have added a new No feedback steering system. the boat originally had Binnacle controls. Because I didnt have the room for these on my new console I had to get a side mount control. The console I bought was only 24 inches wide. Replacing one that was 30 inches. This held me up from putting the boat in the water for the first time. It wasnt until later in the summer that I was able to finish the boat enought to put it in the water.

The first time I tried it was in a freshwter lake and I was very happy with how it ran. I didnt evn have a seat yet. I used a plastic lawn chair that was not the most comfortable. After reading all the treads of how this boat handles in the waves I couldnt wait till I got it out in the rough.
On a perfect fall day things fell into place and My som and I took the boat out into Narraganset bay. I was followed by a friend on his jetski and I was so pleased with everything from this boat.
My biggest worry about the boat was the many complaints about how they chine walk at high speeds. I felt very little of this when I was out and consider myself very pleased with the boat so far.
The boat has the typcal wear on the hull for a work boat but at the back of my boat it was worn down very bad near the large dump hole at the bottom. With some encouragement from a good frien I decided to do over the hull. He has commited to teach me howto repair the hull. I have the use of his garage.
After stripping out the console and seat I towed it to his house. We pulled it off the trailer with 4 adults onto a rug in the driveway. I was nervous and carefull as we rolled it over and flipped it upside down onto the trailler. I had placed a bunch of 2x4x across the bunks. I was so worried about punturing the tubes. I have a couple of leaks I have to take care of and didnt need any more. Uning 2 milk crates across the 2xs I was able to tranfer the weight to the hull and off the tubes. I have braced the transom on blockes and started to sand the hull today. Was stopped cold when the rain started. Heading back tomorrow to finish sanding and grinding the hull. I will try to take some good pics and post them soon. These pics show the boat before I started working on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4089.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	24044   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4090.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	24045   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4096.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	24046   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4098.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	24047   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4100.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	24048  

Old 31 December 2006, 04:12   #2

more pics

just some more pics to show what I am tackling. The boat has some patches and a slow leak somewhere but all in all they are in nice shape I think. I will be woring on the hull this week and hope to post some more pics of my work.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4092.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	24053   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4093.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	24054   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4094.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	24055   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4095.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	24056   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4097.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	24057  

Old 31 December 2006, 11:17   #3

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
looks good
Old 31 December 2006, 11:38   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Welcome to RIBNET,

Looks like you have got everything under control and good facilities available. I'm sure you'll get some Avid Brit Searider owners offering advice. If you do a search on Searider Refurbishment I'm sure you'll find some previous RIBNET projects of this wonderful type of RIB.
Old 31 December 2006, 14:14   #5

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
LTF,

Welcome! I also have an ex USCG 5.4. It's getting rigged with a new 90 e-tec right now. I live in MA, and I'm frequently in Newport with the boat during the summer months. I'm heading to FL with it in about a week. I have the original console, tubes, etc, all in quite good shape. I do wish my boat still had the splash well that yours does. It was removed at some point before I got the boat.

We now have a number of MA/RI members here. We should plan a get together in the spring!
Old 31 December 2006, 15:43   #6

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
great to see the boat again, and to see she's getting such good treatment. I still have the sister boat I got in Texas at the same time (picture attached) ... keeps getting pushed back in line for reconditioning but might find time to get to it this summer after a couple of other project boats find their way out the door. I look forward to seeing your work, and some on-the-water shots when you can. best of luck.
bryan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Avon 1.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	24058  
Old 31 December 2006, 19:30   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
The first time I tried it was in a freshwter lake and I was very happy with how it ran. I didnt evn have a seat yet. I used a plastic lawn chair that was not the most comfortable.
You sure you're not from Alabama? (Oh, wait... Alabama would be plastic milk crates. Arkansas, maybe?)

Congrats on the boat, and welcome to the forum.

Happy New Year, too;

jky
Old 01 January 2007, 22:21   #8

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to my post. I have not done much work lately with the holidays but was able to pretty much sand my whole hull lightly with a 150 grit sand paper. I took the shine off in preparation for painting. The hull is in great condition and I have been wondering if I should paint it or try to just gell coat the boat, any ideas would be considered. I was told that todays paint is as good as gell coat. I do not leave it in the water I just want to protect the watertightness of the boat the best I can. I have been told that the epoxy paint would work great for me. Very strong and looks great when done right.

I have some spots to grind this week and then I will prepare for the repairs. My biggest worry is the back part of the boat at the bottom of my hull, right near the large dumphole, it has been repaired before and really need some attention. I just keep thinking about the many projects I have researced on ribnet, this gives me hope that everything will work out great. I will take some detailed pics of everything next time I get to work on it.

As for that trip to Newport, you can be assured We will get together sometime this year. I hope you enjoy your New motor.

And finally I would like to thank Bryan peterson for having the forsight to by 2 boats because with out that I would not even have a boat to work on
Thanks
Scott
Old 31 May 2007, 02:00   #9

Town: near baton rouge
Engine: 90hp etec
im looking at moving from a zodiac f470 with a 55hp durajet to a avon 5.4 and either two 55hp durajets or swapping the lower to a 70/75hp johnson

will the 70/75hp with a durajet lower be an ok combination? or is 90 really the minimum?
Old 31 May 2007, 02:06   #10

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Great project and pics. You are way ahead of me on project Lomax.
Cheers, T
Old 31 May 2007, 07:14   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinfantry View Post
im looking at moving from a zodiac f470 with a 55hp durajet to a avon 5.4 and either two 55hp durajets or swapping the lower to a 70/75hp johnson

will the 70/75hp with a durajet lower be an ok combination? or is 90 really the minimum?

Don't know about durajets but Avon recommend a maximum of 90hp and total engine weight not to exceed 175kg. Mine goes like hot snot with an 85.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 23:18   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Don't know about durajets but Avon recommend a maximum of 90hp and total engine weight not to exceed 175kg. Mine goes like hot snot with an 85.
Got any pics of yours yet nos?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 23:30   #13

thanks. my zodiac is for sale and im going to try a 70
Old 31 May 2007, 23:37   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Not really-the best so far was taken the 1st time out-it's here

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2007, 02:34   #15

can anyone with a 5.4 tell me how long the steering cable needs to be? i dont have mine yet, and it doesnt have a cable anyway.
Old 01 June 2007, 10:42   #16

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
can anyone with a 5.4 tell me how long the steering cable needs to be? i dont have mine yet, and it doesnt have a cable anyway.
There won't be a standard answer to this as it will depend on the position of the console and helm plus the route you want the cable to take.

I'm sure some of the manufacturers' sites will have guidance on minimum curve radius etc.
Old 14 June 2007, 17:08   #17

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Quote:
I just re-engined my 5.4 with a rebuilt 90 hp 2 st Yam and my cable had to be 14 feet teleflex. It will really depend n your console positioning tho'. Hope this helps.

BTW I get 36kts on WOT with a 19" pitch prop. Believe me in the Atlantic (other side of the pond) that can get plenty scary. All the best, I lived in Newport RI for 3 years and that boat should be absolutely perfect for that area.

Ian