Old 13 July 2018, 14:39   #21

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonmarine View Post
Great video but do we want to share them with the english lol the more we show them off the more will come up and the last thing we want is it looking like the hamble with so many boats!!
Hi Ashton.. my thoughts are you are in the wrong trade if you don’t want many boats around Scotland’s coast.

On a more serious note..its a very good opportunity to mention …

I hope my videos help educate people of all nations .. to look after the last of the great wilderness left around our part of the world . It is part of the reason I spend so much time making the videos. Its why I include footage of the wildlife as well as the boats. The scenery as well as how to wild camp responsibly in it.

The wild campsites I leave have no fire rings left..I don’t build fires on grass ..and I bury my toilet below high water so it gets flushed with every tide. If the videos get that message across .. I am happy and will continue showing them. Its by encouraging others to visit these places for themselves that will hopefully ensure the message is passed on and these places will be kept special.

I think you may find ... that was the message from one of the most famous Scottish Environmentalist ... John Muir. He didn’t try to hide the countryside from others.. he educated people that it was there.. encouraged them to see it and that it was something special..and that it should be looked after by all.

There has been a delay in part five as I had hospital appointments today..but I will post it up soon.
Old 13 July 2018, 14:49   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
On a more serious note...

>>> its a long drive but worth it.. problem is..once you do it once ..you miss it real bad...so beware ..it may spoil your own boating area.

That's very true. We were lucky that in deserting Scotland for the first time in decades we had good weather and a great time in Devon last year... and a brilliant time in exceptional weather in Cornwall this year.

However Mrs F and I both said at different times this holiday how we would like to be in the Tayvallich village café looking over our SIB tied to the adj pontoon.
Old 13 July 2018, 15:30   #23

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
[QUOTE=Fenlander;776635]On a more serious note...

>>>

However Mrs F and I both said at different times this holiday how we would like to be in the Tayvallich village café looking over our SIB tied to the adj pontoon.[/QUOTE

Your welcome anytime David[emoji106]🥃
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 17:30   #24

Part Five is now attached ..and it hopefully illustrates the beauty of Loch Tarbert.

It is very remote. I have shown all three building that are in the entire area.

During my three days stay there ... I only met and talked with the two brothers from Islay. They welcomed me into their “area” and in return I mentioned my plans and how long I intended staying. I thought that was a good idea because if the tent was still there after my intended departure date.. they may know to inform the authorities.

I also repaid their hospitality by leaving my campsite absolutely spotless.

That way I’m sure they will allow the next person to camp without complaining it is their property.

Hi Vinny31 thanks for commenting and Im delighted you enjoy the videos.

Hi Maximus .. I look forward to meeting you all again soon..as mentioned last year..the holiday season would not be quite the same without a wee bit of banter together.

Hi M Thornton thanks for dropping in. Strangely .. although I was hoping to video either a sea eagle or golden eagle ..I saw neither. I wondered if the heat was getting to them ? However I know Jura is also a bit of an adder hole but I never saw one snake yet they like the heat. I did see some wildlife and that is coming in video Six of the box set.

Hi Ashton ...Jeff..Fenlander and Jambo ..thanks for dropping in and commenting

Video Six will follow tomorrow ..and Im stuck on land in it..but that gave me an opportunity to explore on foot.
Old 13 July 2018, 21:56   #25

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Cracking videos and some fascinating places. I tend to be guilty of fleeing past them and not knowing what I've missed. (The Strand between Colonsay & Ornsay being one.)
The caves in the last video look really interesting. Might go look for them next month but I think I'll give the inner basin a miss....the curse of expensive stainless props.
Old 13 July 2018, 22:04   #26

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Bliss [emoji108]
Old 14 July 2018, 07:31   #27

Cracking sibbing area been down the west coast and out to colonsay a lot, always a lovely trip and jura superb walking country. Hoping to kayak it later this year!
Amazing weather for it too
Old 14 July 2018, 11:36   #28

Part Six is now attached .. and it covers a very interesting day exploring the mouth of loch Tarbert area by foot

Hi Last Tango..the caves are worthy of a visit .. as are the raised beaches ..you will hopefully see why in this video

Hi 69cmw ..good to see you are still watching..I sometimes wonder if so many videos get a bit boring but I try to vary them as much as I can

Hi Duggie.. its such a beautiful area I can understand fully why you go so much. My brother kayaks the area a lot and I envy him a bit as you feel more at one with the area going slow. The portage from Tarbert village to the inner basin of Loch Tarbert all adds to the experience. I cant do the portage with my boat though.

Part seven will follow when its made ..and I continue making my way round to Craighouse in it.
Old 14 July 2018, 13:41   #29

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
My favorite posts to read on Ribnett, stellar.

Cheers
Old 14 July 2018, 15:04   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
However I know Jura is also a bit of an adder hole but I never saw one snake yet they like the heat.
They were all over on the mainland for their holidays terrorising the locals! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-44807191

I've only encountered one in the wild - and its not an experience I'm in a rush to repeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
The portage from Tarbert village to the inner basin of Loch Tarbert all adds to the experience. I cant do the portage with my boat though.
Do you think the Frib with transom wheels would be doable?
Old 14 July 2018, 15:41   #31

Thank you very much for the kind comment Squid Boat ..its very much appreciated.

Hi Poly ... Its certainly possible with a kayak and full camping gear as my brother does it quite often. This is one of his photos from last year going along the road to Loch Tarbert. Not sure of the F Rib full of camping gear unless its on wheels at its balance point. Transom wheels wouldn't work when its loaded up unless its well balanced.

The kayaks also have a big advantage ..in that if the wind gets up.. they get the ferry home from Colonsay. CalMac don’t charge for the kayaks as they fill spaces between cars. I suspect they would charge for the F Rib as it takes up a wider space.

Of course..he likes to return by paddling through the Corryvrechan too. Im not sure I would like to go through it in these conditions in my 9ft F Rib ?

His tales of the sea can be found here

https://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/search/label/Jura

I hope to get this box set finished tomorrow as my last hospital appointment for a few weeks is on Monday.. then Im heading off to the great wilderness again.. this time in the small F-Rib as it cheaper to run its 6HP four stroke. Where am I going ? Im following the winds again ..but as Im a teuchter to heart ..it will be in the great North West
Old 15 July 2018, 09:21   #32

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Always fabulous donny you inspire and make me envious in equal doses lol. Soon be time for us when pansy work is pushed to the back. Lots to look forward to in retirement your videos and photos are a fabulous archive of places to visit [emoji106]. Think we all owe you a pint on sight [emoji12] fuel Guinness or whisky lol
Old 15 July 2018, 09:23   #33

Pansy work? That was painful work doh
Old 15 July 2018, 10:40   #34

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Pansy work? That was painful work doh

Freudian slip there Neil[emoji848]?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 10:50   #35

Lol some may say there are several where I work gardens are lovely in the centre of Leeds [emoji23]
Old 15 July 2018, 12:45   #36

Hi Neil .. thanks for the kind words and Im sure you will agree that this last video in the box set sums things up nicely. Looking forward to that pint or seven soon ... as I like to buy my round too

Good to see your keeping a close watch too PD .. enjoy your hols

At last..the final part of my " A Taste of Jura" adventure. The ending sequence ..going back to Oban through the Grey Dogs sums up the adventure nicely.

I may add the return journey at a later date as it was interesting too .. but at present I don't have time as Im heading off adventuring again tomorrow. This time Im using the smaller F -Rib. If there is interest Im sure it will have a story too

Thanks for watching and I sincerely wish everyone a great adventure

Best Regards
The Gurnard
Old 15 July 2018, 13:13   #37

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
Fantastic box set, and a great ad for Scotland too!

Looking forward to your next adventure.

Technical question- how do you keep the cameras charged when away from "the mains" for so long?
Old 15 July 2018, 14:02   #38

Hi Iron Dials ... its a good question and it took me a while to work out as my OB does not charge batteries. I keep a Gopro and Gimbal.. A Sony Camcorder .. A Sony Compact camera a mobile phone and a fish finder (depth sounder) working.

Fortunately everything is USB port charging so I have a 12V 7ah battery .. a 12V 28ah battery from a golf cart and two small portable charging batteries. I made a box with USB charge ports that connects to the 12V batteries ..its basically an in car USB charger in the box.

I also have a small solar panel which is next to useless so seldom use it now. I find this set up keeps everything going for a full week. Next week when Im away ..I will have the car so I charge the 12V batteries using a lead I made that plugs into the trailer board socket so it charges when Im using the car..they can then in turn charge the cameras and even the smaller batteries. I can last almost indefinitely this way. Its a caravan socket on the car so not a normal trailer socket. It has a relay to protect the bbattry when I start the car..hope all that makes sense

I obviously carry a handheld VHF but its not switched on much. I cant hear it when the OB is running and I use my phone to get weather reports. My brother will text me weather and the phone gets it when it hits a signal area. I carry a PLB and its my main emergency button as I know its batteries are in date. I carry an Aux engine and spare prop and as I can land almost anywhere so am pretty self reliant in that department anyhoo.
Old 22 July 2018, 08:22   #39
kev

Town: Clackmannanshire
Boat name: SEAMATE
Make: Avon
Engine: 40 hp 2 Stroke
Brilliant videos, great footage , had a 430 hd a few years ago great boats . Great to see you doing all those miles .
Old 10 August 2018, 20:49   #40

Town: Kent and Suffolk UK
Boat name: AlphaFox
Make: Atlantic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 O/B Suzuki DF90ATL
MMSI: 232012141
Sir, your videos are truly inspirational. Your "Great Arisaig Adventure" inspired me to put the rib on the trailer, visit Graham at Arisaig Marine two days later and use it for a week in and around Loch Nevis this summer.

I also want to congratulate you on your camera skills. I tried 30 seconds of IPhone filming on a calm day heading from Inverie to Mallaig and realised what a challenge it is to get good footage - yours is almost steady cam like...

Thanks very much and keep them coming please...