Old 05 April 2016, 14:23   #31

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>>I normally use a Canon D70 DSLR as I need to get high ISO numbers to get a steady shot in a moving boat. However I also use a small Sony RX100III

Interesting re the cameras Gurnard. I was a lifetime SLR user until about 15yrs ago and have owned many digital cameras since with the EOS 50D being the peak of DSLR ownership. But I've slipped back to a bridge camera (chosen out of the bridge models for photo quality not flashy specs) for "best" and use (compared to yours) a lowly but very capable Sony digicam for on board use... a cost I'm happy to lose if it was dunked.

But there is no doubt there is just something about those larger sensor images.

Old 05 April 2016, 14:35   #32

Town: Tyne and Wear
Engine: Tohatsu 25
Great read, thanks for sharing.
Would love a few days on some of those mountain bike trails mixed in with a bit of boating, fishing. Ahh one day.

Old 05 April 2016, 15:06   #33
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
But who pays for the upkeep of the bothys?
I'm vastly entertained by TSMs incredulity. He's absolutely correct that they would be ransacked here in a matter of days. I've always been fascinated by them - for the same reasons. I'd happily put a day or two a year into maintaining a bothy in Donegal - but it's pie in my sky.

That said, I'm gonna share something with you all. Tell anyone else and I'm gonna be left with no option other than to hunt you down and kill you...

Port Donegal
Old 05 April 2016, 19:42   #34

Town: Columbia gorge wash.
Make: Zodiac Hurricaine
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard yam 70
Adventure

Really enjoy reading about your adventures from across the pond 😊!!
Old 06 April 2016, 04:29   #35

Town: Southampton
Make: Ring Legend
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
Really enjoy reading your posts, may i esquire what app you are using for GPS on your phone plz.
Old 07 April 2016, 03:41   #36

>>>We're trying to slim our load of "essentials" we carry at the moment. Weighed it all today and shocked we carry 42.5kg of kit compared to just having the boat with its outboard and one 10l tank.

Well with a free afternoon yesterday I laid out all our kit on the garage floor and pruned it to an absolute minimum... only saved 4.6kg... but perhaps that offsets a small picnic.
Old 07 April 2016, 05:49   #37

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks again to everyone for your kind comments..its appreciated

Cardo..the app is Mtracker..no longer available ..as it uses OS Landranger maps. The equivallent is now the OS map app itself..Memory Map..I have the whole of Scotland in OS map..so dont bother with charts..the fish finder tells me any depths I want

Hi Fenlander..

My boat box alone weighs slightly over 20kg .. and I cant dump any of it..its all important to me.

No need to spend extortionate amounts of money on waterproof boxes when my local council gives me ideal boxes for free.. well .. I am recycling my Seago Sib ..so it is justified ?

The golf trolley battery weighs half of that..but it lasts a week away from home..before needing recharged.

I have a bailer made from an old plastic oil container ..with a roller boat stuffed in it for storage. Air pump in case of leaks at sea ..anchor and anchor rope..and yup Poly..this one gets used regular..but I wait till its dry before storing again. Radio..PLB.. Fishfinder .. Transducer and transom mount.. gloves..sponge ..and rod holder.. oh .. and the mat stolen from my favourite bar..good for wiping fishy hands on.

It all fits nice and snug with plenty room for my lunch and Guinness gravy

And as I believe everything carried on a boat should have at least two uses.. when the lid is down..its strong enought to sit on..use as a bait table ..and holds the fishfinder and compass..easily detachable as they slide in and out ..so the lid is flat for transporting. I used old Seago PVC to skin all the surfaces on box and wooden floors that I made for the Guppy

I do have to lose weight though. I have been having some severe pains in the gut lately.. had an ultra sound at the start of the week..and found Im riddled with stones in both kidneys and gall bladder.. so I hope to easily match your 4.5 kg weight loss by shedding stones and winter blubber from my body.

Im heading for another adventure tomorrow.. and hopefully with a fishy ending this time ..the rod n reel is going with me this time ..and heading further north than Loch Goil
Old 07 April 2016, 11:08   #38

Interesting to see the kit. I seem to have far more spanners, wire, other tools, rope, insulation tape etc... just can't break the habit.

True also that self and Mrs F could do with shedding about 15kg between us!
Old 07 April 2016, 11:37   #39

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi again Fenlander ... I carry the tools in one of the Tupperware boxes on the seat..camera phone car keys etc in the other. That way I never forget them ..or if I do ..I have to stand.

This shows my final setup..just need to get the auxiliary engine fixed ..then I will try open sea instead of sea lochs. I almost bought a nice 6hp Mariner 4 strokes. Seller said only used twice.. and it was half price of a new one. I left it a day too late ..it was snapped up quick.

The transom dolly wont be getting a free ride tomorrow. .. after launch.. it will be left in the car. That leaves plenty room for any large fish I might catch .. congers are often caught where Im heading tomorrow ..and I want room if I accidentally hook one of them ugly brutes. Im targeting thornback rays tomorrow ..but they will be catch..smile for the camera..then released. I donít eat them.

I will update how I get on..on my return.
Old 18 July 2016, 17:40   #40
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
Loving all these trip reports. Many in my local area and places I've kayaked. I've visited the Bothy by bike from Argarten, spent the night surrounded by the Dutch army. Also walked in from the Goil.
Can't wait to get my SIB out n about.