Old 22 July 2007, 21:48   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
A few more horses!

Today was the day I finally got some more horses on the back of Evolution. I have had her for 6 months now with the supplied 140 Johnson on the back. This was fine, and gave a top speed of 36 kts but proved to be a bit on the small side with 8 people on board when speed went down considerably. With more weight on the boat the fuel consumption went through the roof as the engine was running at full revs the whole time. I had been hankering after a 225 Suzuki until I found out the price at the Sports boat and rib show! That was until I found this one at considerably less. For those that don't know all Johnson 4 strokes are rebadged Suzukis, so it effectly the engine I wanted just painted white. Today was the big day that it went onto the boat (we had the perfect weather for it which was a massive help, I've actually got sunburn on the back of my neck!). Launched it down at the camber this evening where I took the following shots. I personally think this engine looks a lot more in proportion with the rest of the boat - the 140 looked a little small. One slight problem is that I won't have the prop until next week which meant we had to use my 25hp SR4 to tow it over to Haslar marina. Looking forward to getting the prop and getting her run in for some slightly faster Ribnet cruises
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	28721   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	28722   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	28723  
Old 22 July 2007, 22:09   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Yeh looks much more purposfull than the old one, did you buy brand new or find a bargain 2nd hand one?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2007, 02:55   #3

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Old age and trickery beats youth and vitality 3 out of ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Today was the day I finally got some more horses on the back of Evolution. I have had her for 6 months now with the supplied 140 Johnson on the back. This was fine, and gave a top speed of 36 kts but proved to be a bit on the small side with 8 people on board when speed went down considerably. With more weight on the boat the fuel consumption went through the roof as the engine was running at full revs the whole time. I had been hankering after a 225 Suzuki until I found out the price at the Sports boat and rib show! That was until I found this one at considerably less. For those that don't know all Johnson 4 strokes are rebadged Suzukis, so it effectly the engine I wanted just painted white. Today was the big day that it went onto the boat (we had the perfect weather for it which was a massive help, I've actually got sunburn on the back of my neck!). Launched it down at the camber this evening where I took the following shots. I personally think this engine looks a lot more in proportion with the rest of the boat - the 140 looked a little small. One slight problem is that I won't have the prop until next week which meant we had to use my 25hp SR4 to tow it over to Haslar marina. Looking forward to getting the prop and getting her run in for some slightly faster Ribnet cruises
Actually, I think it looks a little large but that isn't a bad thing imho. You want to have some fun? Resticker it as a 140, confuse and have fun with your friends, they'll wonder how the hell that 140 is so fast!
Old 23 July 2007, 10:25   #4

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Quote:
looks the bomb mate!!, can I shotgun a ride one time?!?!
Old 23 July 2007, 11:04   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Andy. It's a 2005 model, which was kept as a spare in case of failure by London Rib Voyages. They operate two big Quinquai's on the Thames as well as two more in Guernsey. They have changed all their boats over to Etecs now so this was surplus to requirements.

Olly, next time theres a Ribnet cruise you're more than welcome on board!
Old 23 July 2007, 12:03   #6

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
cheers tim
Old 23 July 2007, 13:53   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Should be awesome - remember prop selection and engine height seems pretty cruicial on those Suzukis - a lot of people with the 250s and 300s have had problems but maybe a 225 will be better.

Bet it will go like stink - have you got the digital controls?
Old 23 July 2007, 15:28   #8

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
just to but in peeps
i know of a 150hp mercury optimax-XL ex-demo complete with every thing but fitted with ali prop, £3650.00 inc vat with warranty from midlands dealer, nothing to do with me, just thought may be a nice cheap upgrade for some one, reading this thread i paid 7400.00 2 years ago for an ex boat show display model,
Old 23 July 2007, 16:11   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Today was the day I finally got some more horses on the back of Evolution. I have had her for 6 months now with the supplied 140 Johnson on the back. This was fine, and gave a top speed of 36 kts
Nice one Tim, she'll go a Tad quicker now.
Old 23 July 2007, 22:26   #10

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
just to but in peeps
i know of a 150hp mercury optimax-XL ex-demo complete with every thing but fitted with ali prop, £3650.00 inc vat with warranty
That's well cheap and won't hang around long for that price.
Old 24 July 2007, 07:34   #11

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
i know a man who is on the phone this morning, of the forum, i am only glad to be of assistance if it is what he wants