Old 14 June 2014, 10:42   #1

Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
A couple of days fishing

As most on here will now realise, the main reason I have a SIB is to get me to the fishing that's practically on my doorstep.
Thursdays and Fridays forecasts where looking good, so with this in mind I'd arranged to meet up with Dave on Thursday morning, another new member to the Sibbing community on the North East coast. The plan was to run down the coast a few miles and fish close in for Bass and Pollock. Then come back up and go a bit further out for the Cod. Unfortunately Dave had an unrepairable puncture on one of his launch wheels, so he reluctantly called off.

Loaded up and ready to go.

So me and Ballast set off into the sunshine and a southerly breeze (that hadn't been forecast). After a mile or so I decided to alter plans, it was just to breezy to cast light lures, so we headed out to a few marks we hadn't fished before.

Fishing was slow, I landed a few small codling which went back in, Then Ballast hit into a better fish, which led him a merry dance.

A nice codling of about 8lb.

Another drop straight down, bang over goes his rod tip, this fish didn't want to give up. It repeatedly dived for the bottom, with Eric just holdling on. Finally it tired and a fine Pollock came to the boat.

Then he had a nice Wrasse

The man was on fire ................... unfortunately he then ran out of fuel, only picking up a few more codling.

The wind had died down and we spent a pleasant morning drifting over a few new marks, picking up a steady stream of cod. It was only spoilt by three old Codgers in a boat, who dropped into our drift and the cut us up on the way back up to the top. But by then the wind was getting up again, so we called it a day and headed for home.

Eric and his Pollock, I don't know who looked more surprised.

Old 14 June 2014, 17:43   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Nice fish Stray.. I had a couple wee codlings today..but nothing to write about.

Perhaps you can help with some advice.

I keep a multiplier reel rig on one side of my boat and a fix spool reel rig on the other side.. I swap between them depending what kind of fishing Im doing.

Im very happy with the Multiplier..Diawa SL30SH ..but my fix spool has been the biggest waste of money I have ever spent.. Its a Penn reel..and only two years old ..but gives trouble every time I use it.

Any recommendations for a decent fix spool around a ton or less ? Anyone else happy with their fixed spool reel ?
Old 14 June 2014, 17:59   #3

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Nice report stray and a nice pollock, glad to see some peeps are getting some decent fishing in
Old 14 June 2014, 18:59   #4

Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
Quote:
.but my fix spool has been the biggest waste of money I have ever spent.. Its a Penn reel..and only two years old ..but gives trouble every time I use it.
How are you using it, and what are the problems? They're not designed for winching half a pound of lead from 100ft of water.

Quote:
Nice report stray and a nice pollock, glad to see some peeps are getting some decent fishing in
Thank's but it looks like the weather is going to put a stop to it for a week or so.
Old 14 June 2014, 19:26   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Just the normal fixed reel kind of stuff stray...like trolling.. casting out and retrieving for sea trout etc. I had an ancient diawa no longer made thing that I was very happy with.. but two cheep reels since..then I bought the penn or around sixty quid.

First day use..the handle fell off..since then ..bail arm doesn't always return so needs manually flipped over.. the winder stopped going in and out ..the pin had dislodged.. now today..it winds both forward and backwards..which it never did before..it doesn't have a ratchet to change winding directions.. so I will have to strip it down again.

admittedly. .its the reel that guests on the boat use as non fisher folks don't like multipliers ? So it probably gets a bit of abuse.. but it should do better ?

Its going to be used as a half pound weight as soon as I find a decent replacement