Go Back   RIBnet Forums > Buy and sell > Bits and pieces
Click Here to Login

Old 22 October 2015, 19:57   #21

Unfortunately I don't have access to one so it is what it is bud.
Old 22 October 2015, 20:14   #22

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
My way of checking the play might be little different(not saying its correct).
My worry, regarding play, is can the engine move without anyone touching the wheel. So by grabbing the engine with a heavy duty grip when on trailer and trying to rock it from side to side.
On most cable system there is some play and you can move the engine, more or less pending on the system.

If there is even a tiny bit of air in the hydraulic system, there will also be some play. When no air, no play what so ever using this "test" method.

When changing direction from the wheel on a hydraulic system, there i kind of a dead
spot( due to valve switch over i guess) but not sure would call it a play as don't think there is a free movement in the engine end(like in a cheap cable system), its more like a delay?
Old 22 October 2015, 20:48   #23

I done the same, also not sure if right or wrong. I have no discernible movement trying to move the engine, the play, slop or delay is at the wheel and therefore I assume (dangerous) it is the valve.

I have never tried a power purged hydraulic system to my knowledge to know exactly what, if any difference I would see. The dozen or so I have tried all had the same "slop or delay" as my own. I don't even think about it now TBH, it was only a concern when I found my original setup faulty.

The difference between cable and hydraulic can perhaps best be felt by grabbing the engine and wiggle it, you will get a little more slop there than hydraulic yes. Once the outboard is in use though the torque would remove that somewhat.

I guess it boils down to personal preference what system to use. I just can't put hand on heart and say hydraulic is worth nearly 3x the price for the OP's scenario based on my experience with both systems.
Old 25 October 2015, 23:25   #24

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
Had previously had twin 60 yams changed to hydraulics I would not like to go back to cable The present set up is power steering dog bollocks only had the one prob with seals but easy to repair once you k ow what to do On twin set up internal cable snapped and instantly tipped us out