Originally Posted by 51ROB20
I am looking for an inexpensive (if there is such a thing) prop guard to fit my Mariner 25hp Has anyone got one or could someone tell me the best place to look for one. I have looked on e-bay but could not find one.
Before you spend your money on a prop guard (which will cost you at least £100) have you researched the expert opinion on such devices?
Much has been said on here in the past but here would be a quick summary:
- screws up performance
- may take you longer to reach a person in the water
- screws up fuel consumption
- complacency that the prop is guarded can make drivers less aware of people in the water and drive more dangerously
- not 100% certain to avoid prop injury
- risk of prop strike from competent helmsan acting responsibly very low
- RYA advice is training not guards is best practice