Old 09 November 2002, 17:09   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
Pacific 22 tubes wanted

I dont know if anybody remembers, but about 12 - 18 months ago somebody had a set of either Arctic or P22 tubes for sale which were in good condition with the exception of a large tear where a vandal had slashed them at the back end. Is this vendor still about? I think he also had a Mermaid engine with a cracked block for sale. If so please get in contact with me because I am looking for P22 spares at present.
Old 11 November 2002, 12:29   #2

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
try DMG in Lymington, I think it stands for Diving marine general
He was selling a pacific hull and said he might have a spare set of old tubes
Old 14 November 2002, 18:42   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
James Worlock, MD of DMG can be contacted on 07836 239733.

or e mail to: jjw@dmgltd.net

also in this months "Buy a boat for under 20k" a firm advertising bits including stern drives for pacific 22s Tel : 01722 238388

Hope this helps
Regards Pete, (a fellow P22 owner)
Old 14 November 2002, 18:58   #4

cheers pete, im aware of DMG and will give them a call tomorrow. I know tubes for these are rare to come by. Looks like i will have to pull my wallet out and buy a new set.

Has your Pacific got a Dover engine in and set up for 200 HP? If so what speed do you get? I wasnt aware that the dover could get 200hp. Ive got a couple of Pacifics, and Im thinking of pushing a mermaid to see what we can get out of it. It gets a bit complicated i believe when you get past 180hp....
Old 16 November 2002, 17:20   #5

Yep I have 200 hp. Previous owner re built the engine himself with the help of an engineer and then borrowed Mermaids test bed for four hours. I have the Mermaid certificate showing 198 hp at 2600 revs. Only just got the rib so Wavehumper (Stu) and I have only been out in her once. She topped 35 mph which is about 30 knots, at 2500 revs with four ppl on board. Think she will go another knot but didn't want to thrash her, thats not what she is for.

Doing the Mermaid Owners Club one day maint cse on the 30th Nov so will ask them what is involved. Details of the club on the web site. £15 per years seems reasonable for a 24 hour helpline especially as she is about to have a new console built and installed and there is a lot of wires to disconnect.

Halmatic are quite helpful even though I didn't buy it off them.

For tubes try Eurocraft in Leyland, Henshaws want £3k which is the going rate but still expensive. Mine has been replaced with 1200 gsm tubes probably henshaws by the look.

http://neon.airtime.co.uk/eurocraft/

What are you using two Pacifics for? no wonder I couldn't find a nice one to buy for ages, you and Fill Smiff have got them all

Pete
Old 18 November 2002, 18:35   #6

P22 Tubes

Cheers, I will give tham a call. I got the first one for a project do at work, Ive always liked them, I had one a few years ago. The main problem with them is when you load them up they lack oomph. No good for diving with. We bought one back from Newcastle to Edinburgh in a gale and it romped through the swell all the way. Stopped for fuel though a couple of times. (160 miles approx).

I then bought the second one because I had a few spare bits off the first one. So Im now lacking the bits that i didnt have!

When I sell the good one, I might just buy another one or a P24 and stick a more powerful engine in it. - dont know if the p24 uses a longer hull though. Ive redecked my one and made the engine cover a bit smaller, alot of work but it which makes the stern area a bit bigger. I finally got a new sternpowr drive last week for £350. Which has to be the luckiest deal Ive ever had.

Do you have a copy of the wiring diagram? I havent yet approached Halmatic for one, but the console is off at the moment, and sombody nicked some of the switchgear on the console so it needs rewired. Mines one of the few red ones made - dont like the colour but i suppose it is different. I believe that it went to Antartica or somewhere like that..... Neville
Old 18 November 2002, 21:50   #7

Oh b*****ks mines a red one too! I thought it spent its life chugging around Portsmouth Harbour, rather than being thrown out of the back of hercs. Anyway its painted white at the moment, good finish to. I have a set of Halmatic wiring and line drawings, send me a pm with your address, cost you a pint sometime.

Planning on a 200l tank to increase the range and an Alan Priddy lookalike console aka "Still Never Enough". Start the GRP work in a fortnight. If it sets I will post some pics and how it was done, if it doesn't I will chuck it in a skip on a dark night and go and buy one.

There was a turbo 4 for sale in "Boats for Sale >20k for £1000 in the small adds last month.

Would love to make one into a cabin rib.
We need a P22 club.

Pete
Old 20 November 2002, 17:43   #8

Just found the manufactures of the orginial tubes for Pacifics, they are:

The Leyland and Birmingham Rubber Co Ltd
Golden Hill Lane
Leyland
Preston PR5 1UB

The tel number is 0772 421434 (however this pre dates the code changes).

They are very close to Eurocraft, therefore they could be the same Co ?

Pete