Go Back   RIBnet Forums > Buy and sell > Bits and pieces
Click Here to Login

Old 17 March 2012, 15:55   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 5m +
Mercury 75HP 2 stroke PTT Pre mix

Mercury 75HP 2 stroke PTT Pre mix.

I believe this to be a 1996 Serial: 9799238. I have owned this outboard for almost 3 years of which it has spent 2 sat on an engine stand in my insulated garage. The outboard was run in a coolant bath and stored with fogging oil. The outboard was removed from my speedboat and I intended to put it on a rib but ive never got round to it and due to commitments with the Armed forces she has to go.

It has some cosmetic marks, the cowling is not the original due to a theft with the previous owner. There is the odd corrosion blemish to the saddle bracket, nothing that will affect the integrity of the outboard.

I am a helicopter engineer and very thorough with my work. Since December I have stripped the gearbox and replaced all the seals, it’s a 3 tooth reverse gearbox of which all of the teeth, bearings and shims were in fantastic condition! I also replaced 3 roller ball bearings within the gear selector and refilled with premium gearlube. Pressure tested to 5psi. The 3 carburettors have been stripped, placed in an ultrasonic cleaner, rebuilt and set up. The fuel pump has been overhauled with a new kit. The advance spark requires setting this needs to be done in forward gear at 3000rpm in water, not possible in a workshop! Easy to do and im including a manual with instructions. The poppet valve and thermostat have been replaced, oil in the tilt and trim has been replaced, 2 new anodes are fitted and the electrics have all been tidied up. The controller was replaced when I first got the engine 3 years ago but I have lost the spare key (about £5 on ebay). The impeller and spark plugs were in too good a condition to replace. The top of the piston crowns and the cylinder walls have been inspected with a bore-scope, no scores or damage found just oily from the fogging mix.

The engine has always, from new, been a pre-mix. No worries about oil system failure! She starts first time and is very reliable. I have compression tested the engine with a basic gauge, from warm with the throttles wide open; CY1:120psi, CY2:125psi, CY3: 120psi. The upgraded red stator is fitted. Charging circuits tested and working. Power tilt and trim is all working. Gearbox selects well with no knocking or horrid noises!

Included in the sale is:
- A 1 year old leisure battery (12v 88Ah 750CCA) Placed on a battery tester and passed.
- Battery box with fittings.
- Dol-phins, to make your boat plane easier.
- 2 fuel tanks, 22L and 12.5L. My old boat had a built in tank .
- New fuel line and bulb.
- Mercury control box. On a 14ft harness with operating kill switch, and utility out sockets.
- 2x 13ft control cables fitted new with the controls 3years ago. Work great! I may have some 16ft ones but ill need to have a good rummage!
- Clymer maintenance manual, absolutely brilliant book!
- 3 original mounting shims for the controller with nuts and bolts.
- All the engine mounting bolts and 3mm stainless backing plate.
- 1 original key with float!
- 4 blade adjustable prop 15-21 pitch so it can be adjusted to suit your boat!
- 4 Teleflex gauges, all working, with back lights, that have only been fitted for 3 months! Temperature, water pressure (I connect this to the outboard to ensure the water pump is running), Tachometer and speedo (0-40Knots). Included is the used mounts and piping. No sensors other than the water pressure pick up. All cost well over £200 new.

These engines are well sought after! Everyone in the boating world keeps telling me not to sell it but she must go. She is simple 2 stroke technology, simple technology is more reliable as there is less to go wrong! On modern outboards the corrosive sea air does not get mixed with fuel and oil at the first stage of induction like these older 2 strokes so the more modern engines are eaten from the inside out. She is lighter than a 4 stroke and will get you on the plane faster too. The difference in fuel economy is negligible in comparison to modern engines as this outboard costs less to service! I think I was getting through 8-10 litres an hour but I was also doing up to 35knots!

I don’t really want to sell the outboard and I am in no rush to see it go. As the boating season is just beginning I know ill be waving it good bye at some point. I will only take £1800 for the lot and NOT A PENNY LESS so please don’t make me offers I WILL NOT SPLIT TOO. I could put on a pallet for postage, I would recommend that she goes on her engine stand (additional £60) plus delivery charges. Ideally I would prefer collection so I can take you through the engine and share my enthusiasm for her.

Please feel free to email me for more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170189.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	66327   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170190.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	66328   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170196.jpg
Views:	209