Full range of Marine electonics for sale
From handheld garmin GPS's through to JRC radars
send me an email for more details
Old 09 December 2002, 14:54   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Out of interest do you do Floscan meters?
Old 09 December 2002, 17:54   #3

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
You took the words out of my mouth Brian...yes, do you have floscan meters for a twin o/b set-up?
Old 09 December 2002, 19:30   #4

Town: Poole
Charles

Not that its a lot of use but I have a single FloScan for a large petrol engine. Bought the thing just before the engine exploded.

Just thought I'd mention it !

Regards

Mark
Old 09 December 2002, 20:16   #5

Make: Pro-Sport
Length: 5m +
Flow Scan

To be honest i have used and fitted flow scan & for the money I don't really rate them?
A better system is from Plastimo Navman instruments and for half the price you do get a better Fuel moniter
Old 10 December 2002, 11:32   #6

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I went for a Navman set-up, although i only have a single engine the system allows for two engines. I went for a combined echo/log/fuel computer which allows me to monitor li/Nm (through water) but if you go for a GPS as well (over budget for me) you can have li/Nm over ground also/instead.

This set-up (1 engine) cost about £250 i think with the added advantage of an echo sounder.

What does a floscan cost?

Daniel
Old 10 December 2002, 11:52   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Floscans are the thick end of £400 or so I believe - if you purchase through UK agents that is. I inherited one on Blue Ice although its non-functioning at present as the sensor is u/s. I am going to purchase replacement via the a friend in the US as it will be considerably cheaper.

Had I not already had a floscan I might well have gone for the Navman (distributed by Plastimo) plotter with the fuel flow moduile. Looks like a good bit of kit!

As far as Mike and Brian are concerned, unless you want another plotter Brian (it IS a CMAP plotter) then presumably a floscan is the way to go. They are pretty accurate from what I have heard - Mike Deacon used 'em on his round Britain records and swore by 'em. Gotta be a huge step on from the knackered old LED tank gauge!

Alan
Old 10 December 2002, 16:00   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Jason
Let me ask the question another way.
I have the Raytheon HSB Colour LCD Sidlay system with RADAR and slve instruments (including DSC radio, Seatrek Multimeter, Garmin Fishfinder). I need some sort of accurate fuel monitoring system.
I only know the name Floscan and assumed that was the one to get. I am told though, that it is a pig to install.
Any comments?
What do you recommend I fit?
Old 10 December 2002, 16:32   #9

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Just to complete my 10 p'nth the Navman system is NOT suitable for diesel as i remember it.

Daniel out.
Old 10 December 2002, 16:36   #10

Make: Pro-Sport
Length: 5m +
fuel Monitor

Brian,

Both systems are easy to fit the plastimo slightly easyer, than the flow scan. most important on both systems is the part that monitors the fuel has a small rotary almost like fan inside so yo must fit an inline filter before the unit, this should pick up any foreign bodys in the fuel system.
The plastimo I think looks a little better being only a 2" dial rather than a 4" flowscan. the other advantage of the Plastimo is that it has an alarm which can be set. for example you put 250ltrs of fuel in your tank reset the fuel monitor pre set the alarm to say 50ltrs the monitor counts the amount of fuel going through when it counts 200ltrs the alarm sounds!! so you know you have 50 ltrs left.
Old 10 December 2002, 16:37   #11

Town: Newfoundland
And another 10p from me.........

I dont believe the floscan is that difficult to install? Inline sensor which involves a bit of plumbing and then wiring up the gauge. Guess it might be more difficult for diesel with a fuel return line.
Find some talented chap to do it for you Brian!

Pepper is right ref. Navman fuel computers. Petrols only it would seem: http://www.navman.com/marine/products/fuel/index.html

Alan

Old 10 December 2002, 22:04   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I am on my second Navman fuel unit. The first one didn't suvive the hose pipe, although it does have a rubber washer in it. However it was easy to fit and did provide a reliable figure of how much fuel we were using. I don't have fuel gauges as the two fuel tanks are triangle in shape to match the bottom of the boat. Pastimo did exchange the whole unit under guarantee, so no problems there, just need to be a bit more careful when washing it down and will fit it with sealant this time. Not bad for £155 and it only took a week to arrive with the chandlers from Plastimo.

They won't work with diesels as alreay mentioned because there is now way of monitoring the return line, unless you can send the return fuel back to the fuel filters instead of the main tank. Would this work ? or is there a reason for the fuel needing to be returned to the tank. This is one cause of moisture by the way as the fuel is warmed from the engine. Need some Soltron.

Pete
Old 11 December 2002, 05:27   #13

Town: Poole
Just to add to the confusion here is a link to "measure anything" site in the US.

It has some alternatives
http://www.measureanything.com/produ...low_system.asp or use the search at http://www.measureanything.com/search.asp and select "Flow Fuel" in the category drop down

No knowledge of the products but there appears to be a cheap petrol meter.

Regards

Mark