Old 28 December 2011, 16:10   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
6 ft fridge freezer ?

A bit of an odd one...

I have the abovehoover split f/freezer in my garage and has been used to cool drinks for the last 6 months . I sold it to a mate for £100 but it kept blowing his RCD in his new (1960s rewired) flat . I thought I'd bust it in transit , but got it home today and plugged it in and it works fine on my house wiring ( with fuses).

I know RCDs can be very sensitive but I really dont think there is an issue with it. Anyway its still for sale at about £100.

Really needs collecting but I can get it in the back of my car if anyone wants it between Poole and POrtsmouth way.

Pete
Old 28 December 2011, 20:59   #2

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Celtic Wanderer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6, Honda
MMSI: 235087784
Fridge freezer

hi
you need to get an electrician to do a portable appliance test on it now that you have knowlage that there may be a fault in it.

It might pass then it would be ok to sell it on knowing that it is safe.

If it fails it might be an easy fix but with the experience i have it will possibly be a faulty compressor then it is not ecconomical to repair and should be dumped as it could be a fire risk.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but have seen these go on fire in the past after being plugged into a circuit protected only by fuses instead of RCD`s, MCB`s or RCBO`s.
The reason that it doesn`t blow the fuse is that fuses can have a 100% overload capacity before they will blow and an RCD / RCBO will trip with only a 30mA fault.
Old 29 December 2011, 08:13   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Cheers for that . I'll see if I can get it tested and if not I will do the decent thing and cut the plug off and take it up the tip - seems a shame really as it keeps the GnT chilled nicely for when I get in after a days boating in the summer.

I do think RCDs etc are a little over sensitive - a bulb goes and they trip ! but oh well. I dont want to set fire to anything .

Pete