Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 January 2008, 18:07   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Mat well done you found one . That little suzuki seems rarer than rocking horse droppings now , yet 2 years ago they were for sale everywhere at discount . The throttle lever is better than a twistgrip for aux use I reckon.

Iam sure its the same as the merc/mariner/tohatsu would be great to know it definatly is and if it can be derestricted as mentioned earlier making it a 3.2.
I also wonder if a 4 or more blade prop is available like some sail drives have
__________________

__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2008, 19:41   #12
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
I don't think it is-it's physically smaller for a start. I will however have a good look for restrictions as it'd be a bit more useful at 3.3hp.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2008, 15:09   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I don't think it is-it's physically smaller for a start. I will however have a good look for restrictions as it'd be a bit more useful at 3.3hp.
Thats interesting . I used to use a suzuki 2.2 on my mums tender to her boat and just thought it looked the same as the mariner . I have never seen them side by side .
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2008, 08:40   #14
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
I had a Suzuki 2.2 a couple of years ago it was mint and very low hours Sold it for 125 It did come with another boat though. Was much pokier and more reliable than the 2hp Honda that replaced it, only annoying thing was that it was difficult to get the cover off. The 2hp Honda incidently was rubbish and has now been replaced with a Yamaha Malta (heavy and gutless!).
__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2008, 10:42   #15
Member
 
samt's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: RNLI Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp 2st
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 850
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
I had a Suzuki 2.2 a couple of years ago it was mint and very low hours Sold it for 125 It did come with another boat though. Was much pokier and more reliable than the 2hp Honda that replaced it, only annoying thing was that it was difficult to get the cover off. The 2hp Honda incidently was rubbish and has now been replaced with a Yamaha Malta (heavy and gutless!).
ADS, Can you get the Malta to fit on your seariders' transom?
__________________
samt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2008, 13:38   #16
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post
ADS, Can you get the Malta to fit on your seariders' transom?

I ve never tried, all of the above have been used on a tender for my parents boat. The Searider has a 2hp Evinrude aux, I imagine the malta would be too wide what with the tiller arm to fit on there. Nos will confirm I recall he tried a variety of outboards before finding one that would fit.
__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2008, 18:00   #17
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
I ve never tried, all of the above have been used on a tender for my parents boat. The Searider has a 2hp Evinrude aux, I imagine the malta would be too wide what with the tiller arm to fit on there. Nos will confirm I recall he tried a variety of outboards before finding one that would fit.
If SamT's sr4 doesn't have an A-frame, the malta may fit. It's the A-frame and transom eyes that limited the space on there.The 2hp Evinrude has an advantage over most other engines in that it's only got one transom clamp screw so the clamp is narrow. Even a Seagull transom clamp wouldn't fit.


Before I changed the main engine on the sr4 I had an old blueband mercury on there which was narrower and I managed to get one of these (pic) to fit by trimming the sides of its transom clamp flanges down by 5-10mm.

You'll definitely get the Evinrude on there with the Yam/Mariner 40 on there.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2008, 18:27   #18
Member
 
samt's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: RNLI Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp 2st
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 850
RIBase
Thanks for replys. I havn't got an A-frame, but I bolted a couple of U-bolts through the steel transom supports (not original avon supports) these will probably be in the way.

I've got a malta in the shed, hardly used. I'll see if it fits on the transom when I get back to the boat in a couple of weeks. It would be nice if it did fit as its such a good little motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	32656  
__________________
samt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2008, 20:08   #19
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post
Thanks for replys. I havn't got an A-frame, but I bolted a couple of U-bolts through the steel transom supports (not original avon supports) these will probably be in the way.

I've got a malta in the shed, hardly used. I'll see if it fits on the transom when I get back to the boat in a couple of weeks. It would be nice if it did fit as its such a good little motor.
It's worth trying. Keep it as close as possible to the main engine-you'll notice the off centre weight on the transom.

Just my opinion, but those transom supports don't look strong enough.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2008, 07:27   #20
Member
 
samt's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: RNLI Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp 2st
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 850
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Just my opinion, but those transom supports don't look strong enough.
I was abit worried about them aswell. They were on the boat when I bought it, but I don't know why original ones were removed. They seem ok for now, but hopefully I'll find a replacment before I start using the boat properly.

They're made of steel, about 8mm thick. I havn't looked at any original ones properly, so don't really know what to compare them to. What are the original avon ones made from?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	32691  
__________________

__________________
samt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.