Old 02 January 2014, 16:15   #1

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner
15hp short shaft 2 stroke / poss 9.9

Hi

Looking for a used 15hp 2 stroke, may consider a 9.9 but would like a 15hp if poss.

I am on a tight budget so would like to keep the costs down, would stretch to £750 but if I'm not expecting the impossible would be happier paying less.

By all means give me a call 07717 704581

Old 02 January 2014, 18:14   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Tight budget indeed.

I checked the usual dealer sites, but reckon you're £400 short of something decent. There's a mint Yamaha 15hp here: Yamaha Outboard Engine for sale , 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke - Boats And Outboards

Reckon you'll need to trawl Gumtree or local ads for something under £750. Allow a contingency fund to service it too, including changing the starter rope, plugs, impeller, gear oil and thermostat, etc.

Mariner 15hp (Poole): outboard engine, Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke | Highland | Gumtree

Yamaha 15hp (Invergarry): outboard engine, Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke | Highland | Gumtree
Old 02 January 2014, 21:00   #3

Spoke with the one for sale in Poole a couple months back with no luck, just requested the serial no & pics under the cover & he was less than friendly, the one in the highlands is a very long way from me (Somerset) so impractical but it does look tidy. Both have been on e-bay etc many times over.

Just keeping the feelers out
Old 03 January 2014, 07:37   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
eBay won't get you a bargain unless you spot a cheap BIN super quick, best bet is trawling round dealers and outboard repair shops, boat yards, local ads, the best bet will be buying a boat and engine outfit and selling the boat on, you can get a bargain on eBay this way.
Old 03 January 2014, 16:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
eBay won't get you a bargain unless you spot a cheap BIN super quick, best bet is trawling round dealers and outboard repair shops, boat yards, local ads, the best bet will be buying a boat and engine outfit and selling the boat on, you can get a bargain on eBay this way.
Hi Max, yes I had considered that option but from watching dinghies, they seem to sit around for months or alternatively sell for very little & I'd rather avoid tying additional money up.

I see you have the same boat as I have recently purchased, may I ask how it performs with the 9.8hp motor & how many people you have had on board with it?
Just interested if you have had the dinghy fully loaded how well it coped with your engine.
Old 03 January 2014, 19:45   #6

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
What about this one ?

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/o...-engine-WIL481

From a dealer, clean, cheap, up-rateable to 15hp without much cost. Seems to fit the bill well

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 03 January 2014, 20:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4bus View Post
Hi Max, yes I had considered that option but from watching dinghies, they seem to sit around for months or alternatively sell for very little & I'd rather avoid tying additional money up.

I see you have the same boat as I have recently purchased, may I ask how it performs with the 9.8hp motor & how many people you have had on board with it?
Just interested if you have had the dinghy fully loaded how well it coped with your engine.
Like all these 3-4 m SIBs they are very weight/distribution sensitive, loads and loads of previous topics on this but the 3.4/9.8 Twat has for many been the best compromise. Go bigger engine and you gain acceleration and load capacity but lose one man ease of portability, flexibility of launching etc. If you are two average or bigger adults or more you may be borderline with a 9.8 for ease of planing (fully loaded forget it!). If like me 1.5 people then the 9.8 is fine.
Old 04 January 2014, 14:32   #8

Quote:
Like all these 3-4 m SIBs they are very weight/distribution sensitive, loads and loads of previous topics on this but the 3.4/9.8 Twat has for many been the best compromise. Go bigger engine and you gain acceleration and load capacity but lose one man ease of portability, flexibility of launching etc. If you are two average or bigger adults or more you may be borderline with a 9.8 for ease of planing (fully loaded forget it!). If like me 1.5 people then the 9.8 is fine.
Thanks Max

We will be two adults & 3 children, mostly hoping to use the dinghy in Poole harbour & up through rivers like Salcombe, can I ask, if the boat is not planning, will it still push through the water OK with a few on board? Rough idea of how many knots would be great, I guess it would only be a fast walking pace due to displacement?

Were completely new to this so just trying to get some idea of what to expect when we find an engine.

Thanks again.
Old 04 January 2014, 14:56   #9

I don't think the 9.8 will plane, 15 should with some people shuffling to help it up.

Displacement speeds will likely drive you mad unless out for a gentle river pootle/picnic. 5 or 6 kts?

Check back through the SIB forum for lots of opinions.
Old 04 January 2014, 18:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
What about this one ?

Johnson Outboard Engine for sale , Johnson 9.9Hp Outboard Engine - Boats And Outboards

From a dealer, clean, cheap, up-rateable to 15hp without much cost. Seems to fit the bill well

Thank you for the link, it's more than I want to pay but for a 2003 and in such good condition I would definitely have gone for it if it were a 15hp. Real shame...As per Max's comments & other threads I've read I think I need to hold out for a 15hp as I will have a few on board, but that does look so clean

I will drop them a line to get in touch if something comes in.
Old 05 January 2014, 00:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4bus View Post
Thank you for the link, it's more than I want to pay but for a 2003 and in such good condition I would definitely have gone for it if it were a 15hp. Real shame...As per Max's comments & other threads I've read I think I need to hold out for a 15hp as I will have a few on board, but that does look so clean

I will drop them a line to get in touch if something comes in.
Old 05 January 2014, 11:31   #12

What's involved in upping to 15hp (parts/cost)? Might be interested myself...

Do the Johnson's have tiller gear shift or side mounted?
Old 05 January 2014, 13:33   #13

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Nice clean mint condition engines aren't necessarily a sign of a two stroke that works. After loosing the best summer in seven years to a 2006 15hp mint mariner which was problematic, I am now taking my new second hand car back to the dealer for the second time. I have had enough of combustion engines. Long live bicycles and sails.
Old 05 January 2014, 14:02   #14

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
What's involved in upping to 15hp (parts/cost)? Might be interested myself... Do the Johnson's have tiller gear shift or side mounted?
Its front mounted on the tiller arm via another lever. In terms of up rating it from the top of my head you'll either have to change parts within the carb or maybe the body itself, plus swap out the reed valve assy, timing change. Its not as easy to do as it is on the Yam or Merc's but people do it.

Old 05 January 2014, 16:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Its front mounted on the tiller arm via another lever. In terms of up rating it from the top of my head you'll either have to change parts within the carb or maybe the body itself, plus swap out the reed valve assy, timing change. Its not as easy to do as it is on the Yam or Merc's but people do it.

Mmmm? I've recently decided against an outboard converted from 9.9 to 15hp from my local dealer, purely down it being converted up to 15 from 9.9, it's an old Mariner which they said is the same as the Johnson, but they are a very honourable business and said that it was a 9.9 power head with the gearbox & carb off of a 15hp, so a good engine made from 2, but they said it would never produce the same power as a 15 as the exhaust porting in the 9.9 barrel is smaller? If this is an error and the porting on both 9.9 & 15 is actually the same I'd be tempted.
Old 05 January 2014, 18:26   #16

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
If its an old mariner it should be the same as the yam in which case you change the reed block &throttle stop &away you go a freind of mine bought a brand new 9.9 from BHG& they did the mod for him because it was cheaper than a new 15 at the time so your one out of two might be a good bet
Old 05 January 2014, 18:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
If its an old mariner it should be the same as the yam in which case you change the reed block &throttle stop &away you go a freind of mine bought a brand new 9.9 from BHG& they did the mod for him because it was cheaper than a new 15 at the time so your one out of two might be a good bet
Sorry, old Mercury, my mistake, but it's the American one (higher voltage coils?)
Old 06 January 2014, 09:50   #18

Quote:
What's involved in upping to 15hp (parts/cost)? Might be interested myself...

Do the Johnson's have tiller gear shift or side mounted?
Hi Max
As far as I'm aware you just change the carb
(I have a 15hp up rated Johnson)
Old 06 January 2014, 10:41   #19

Thanks for the info, will look into that - have to sell my Tohatsu 9.8 first...
Old 06 January 2014, 12:25   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the info, will look into that - have to sell my Tohatsu 9.8 first...
Might be able to help you out with the tohatsu! long or short shaft? ......