Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 May 2014, 10:43   #1
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
11.1 x 14 SS prop

looking for the above to fit a tohatsu 50hp

Edit: just checked I need a size down in pitch if i am moving from aluminium to SS, is that right? in that case I need a 11.1 x 12p
__________________

__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2014, 22:17   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Tried it on the boat yet? If not, don't do anything til you've got an accurate WOT RPM reading.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother with an SS prop-it'll be so fast propped correctly with an aluminium prop that you won't need to look for extra performance and the gearbox takes a lot of load if you hit anything with an SS prop. There's a lot of crap floating in the Severn!
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 02:37   #3
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Tried it on the boat yet? If not, don't do anything til you've got an accurate WOT RPM reading.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother with an SS prop-it'll be so fast propped correctly with an aluminium prop that you won't need to look for extra performance and the gearbox takes a lot of load if you hit anything with an SS prop. There's a lot of crap floating in the Severn!
well this is the problem i've got- being an absoloute idiot i trimmed the engine down too early because before I had a sib so you could drop the engine down earlier. I then scaped the prop over the hard sand bed, bending a taking the paint off it. With the bent prop I got 5650rpm at WOT.

So I thought instead of reconditioning/buying a new prop I would just get a SS one? But you reckon there's not much point? So maybe I just stick with a ally one but get mine reconditioned- propeller solutions do it for 38.



Cheers henry
__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 03:20   #4
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Read one of your earlier posts that you used a 10 3/4 x 14 prop and got 39 knots WOT. I know someone who can lend me one this size but not sure if honda and tohatsu will fit the same props? I know he had it on a mid to late 90s honda 4 stroke and mind in a tohatsu tldi.
__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 07:52   #5
Member
 
Roflhat's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Isle of Lewis
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 633
RIBase
solas stainless steel Outboard Engine propeller 12pitch. | eBay

might be what your after? not mine just came across it
__________________
Roflhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 07:58   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
well this is the problem i've got- being an absoloute idiot i trimmed the engine down too early because before I had a sib so you could drop the engine down earlier. I then scaped the prop over the hard sand bed, bending a taking the paint off it. With the bent prop I got 5650rpm at WOT.

So I thought instead of reconditioning/buying a new prop I would just get a SS one? But you reckon there's not much point? So maybe I just stick with a ally one but get mine reconditioned- propeller solutions do it for 38.



Cheers henry
Everyone bashes their prop at some point in shallow water
You really need the prop to be perfect to get a proper WOT RPM reading. However, a stainless prop will transfer a hell of a lot more shocks to the gearbox if you hit something and you really don't want to be changing gearboxes.That's aside from how crazy quick an SR4 with a 50 is when propped correctly on any prop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
Read one of your earlier posts that you used a 10 3/4 x 14 prop and got 39 knots WOT. I know someone who can lend me one this size but not sure if honda and tohatsu will fit the same props? I know he had it on a mid to late 90s honda 4 stroke and mind in a tohatsu tldi.
Yeah I did use that prop, but that was on a Mariner 50. Your TLDI would have to have exactly the same gear ratio and recommended WOT RPM to replicate my results though. Every prop/motor/hull/owner lardiness index combination gives different results.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 08:02   #7
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
I'm with Nos4R2, unlikely to get any significant performance advantage with a stainless prop. After years of testing and a lot of money spent on props, I have come to the conclusion that OE prop is usually the best (+ or - 2") in a leisure application.

The other issue with stainless is when you bash it. You hit the bottom with an ali prop the worst case is a new prop ( 80?) or more usually a rework for 30. If you hit the bottom with a stainless prop the worst case is a new gearbox
__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 11:00   #8
Member
 
Roflhat's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Isle of Lewis
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 633
RIBase
I'd go stainless every time, it's a trade off either way but there are performance gains to be made. The easiest way to get more performance out of your boat is just changing to a better prop.
__________________
Roflhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 11:04   #9
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Everyone bashes their prop at some point in shallow water
You really need the prop to be perfect to get a proper WOT RPM reading. However, a stainless prop will transfer a hell of a lot more shocks to the gearbox if you hit something and you really don't want to be changing gearboxes.That's aside from how crazy quick an SR4 with a 50 is when propped correctly on any prop.

Yeah I did use that prop, but that was on a Mariner 50. Your TLDI would have to have exactly the same gear ratio and recommended WOT RPM to replicate my results though. Every prop/motor/hull/owner lardiness index combination gives different results.
i know it has the same gear ratio so maybe i will just have to have a play with a few props. I will try a 14" as someone I know has one I can use and he also has a 12", then whilst I'm trying them my 13" can be repaired and I can compare.

I mean my boat didn't feel slow, but it certainly wasn't as fast as I was expecting it to be, I was at WOT i i was not chine walking and it wasn't really fast. So I will just have to have a little play around and see what happens I suppose.
__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 11:06   #10
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I'm with Nos4R2, unlikely to get any significant performance advantage with a stainless prop. After years of testing and a lot of money spent on props, I have come to the conclusion that OE prop is usually the best (+ or - 2") in a leisure application.

The other issue with stainless is when you bash it. You hit the bottom with an ali prop the worst case is a new prop ( 80?) or more usually a rework for 30. If you hit the bottom with a stainless prop the worst case is a new gearbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflhat View Post
I'd go stainless every time, it's a trade off either way but there are performance gains to be made. The easiest way to get more performance out of your boat is just changing to a better prop.
I suppose there is pros and cons of both. I think I will first prop it correctly with an ally prop then MAYBE cahnge to a stainless if im not happy with the speed or i cant pull a skier up.
__________________

__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.